Lake Erie Metropark - Duck Hunting Museum

craig shire

Jim Rehl’s post below about the Jim Foote painting and the museum he saw the original in inspired me to head on down there today for another look around. I usually go there a couple of times a year to look around. This time I took some photos so you can have a virtual tour of the museum. (sorry for the photo quality – it’s tough to get good pictures with a point and shoot through glass)

Lake Erie Metropark is located south of Detroit right where the Detroit River flows into Lake Erie. If you are in the area it is definitely worth stopping by.

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_lake_erie.php

The Marshlands Museum and Nature Center has an extensive collection of waterfowling items including boats, decoys and mounted ducks. It is also a great area for seeing all kinds of puddlers and divers – however with strong SE winds today all I saw was a few swans.

They have every duck you are likely to se in Michigan mounted and on display. A great resource for up close duck identification or reference for decoy carving.

Mounted puddlers
mountedpuddlers.jpg

Mounted divers
mounteddivers.jpg

Mounted geese, swans and mergansers
mountedgeese.jpg

Flying swan mount
flyingswanmount.jpg

Around the corner is a display of the traditional boats that were developed for the local duck hunting – layouts, sneak boats and marsh punts.

Layout boat – this looks like a pretty narrow boat for open water layout to me. I think they need to get a Kalash original up on the wall.
layout.jpg

Sneak boats – These were used similar to scull boats. The hunters hid behind the raised screen and drifted or paddled into rafted divers in open waters. When they were close enough the screen was dropped and the shooting started as the birds took off in flight. While they may look like canoes they are wider and much more stable. Their double ends and high coamings make them relatively safe and stable in the open waters of Lake Erie.
sneakboatsondisplay.jpg

sneakboat.jpg

Bag of hand carved decoys in one of the sneak boats
bagofcarveddekesinsneakboat.jpg

A punt boat for marsh hunting
marshpunt.jpg

Live size display of marsh hunters
hunterdisplay.jpg

Three paintings by Jim Foote of SE Michigan boats and hunting
Footepaintings.jpg

Marsh punt painting
PuntPainting-1.jpg

Layout hunting painting
LayoutPainting-1.jpg

Sneak hunting painting
sneakpainting-1.jpg

Antique shotguns
shotguns.jpg

The museum has more hand carved decoys in one place than I have ever seen before – and I want them all!

A display of carving tools and a deke in progress
carvingdisplay.jpg

Carved decoy heads
carvedheads.jpg

Decorative and miniature decoys
miscdecoys.jpg

The old decoy area
olddecoysondisplay.jpg

Old decoys on display – divers
divers.jpg

Old puddler decoys - check out the "magnum" mallard
puddlers.jpg

Geese & coots
goosecoots.jpg

One Arm Kellie decoys with his actual pattern boards as well.
onearmkelliedekes.jpg

Quillen decoys
quillendekes.jpg

Big ol swan decoy – this decoy is easily over 3 feet long
bigolswandecoy.jpg

Contemporary carved decoys by the late Frank Cummings
contemporarycarveddekes.jpg

More Cummings decoys
contemporarycarveddekes-1.jpg

Not a bad way to spend a gloomy mid winter Saturday afternoon.

Looks like a GREAT place to spend an afternoon, dreaming of other times and other gear. Also where to get ideas of things I don't really need to make but wanna. Thanks for sharing those photos.

Craig:
Great series of pictures! I see several duck boxes that were common then. I still have and use one my dad made back in the 30"s. My dad's boat that he built (replica of course) is there also. Man, that brings back many great memories---thanks!!
Jim Bosanny

Craig.
Thanks for posting the pics and info about the museum.
I'm from Detroit originally and never knew there was such a place. Never got beyone teh Dawson Museum on Belle Isle, I guess. I'll have to spend some time there the next time I come up. Thanks again!

Back