Lathe Recommendations for Turning Duck Calls

Jet, Delta, or Rikon mini lathe are thought to be good for duck call turning. For the same money you can probably find a good older Delta or other US made lathe. You definitely want a head stock and tailstock that are Morse taper 2 as most duck call work holding devices are MT2. Spindle threads of 1x8 are also very common for chucks etc.. Wish you asked this question last week. I knew a really nice Delta lathe that was auctioned at an estate sale in Lacey's Spring last weekend. They show up from time to time so if you re not in a hurry you can get a decent one cheap. I have two lathes at the shop you are welcome to use while you look.

I have two JETs...I'm actually thinking of selling one of them since I only have two hands and need space in my shop for other tools. Too bad you're all the way down south. Anyway, my recommendation is a JET for turning calls.

Steve

I use a jet midi for a few duck calls and turkey calls every year. It's been a super reliable machine, with plenty of accessories available. Make sure you turn good materials, keep your tools sharp, and use proper technique and your sanding will be next to nil.

Back