Layout Boat Hunting Suits?

I have seen the layout boat jump suits before but I cant remember where. The camo clothing isnt cutting it so I need the open water color and cant remember where I seen it. Let me know if any of you know a website that sells them. Thanks

Luke,

There are a couple that I have seen or used that are effective. The one I use is kind of a light gray parka from Frogg Toggs. It doesn't work in every weather or light pattern but it is pretty good. The other one is a Columbia gray Rain jacket but I'm not sure if it's made any more. The one thing you probably have noticed is that on certain days or even times of the day or cloud cover situations the "right" color changes. Also, remember that on some days you could be wearing just about anything and the ducks are still going to come in, other days they won't come in even if you had scuba gear and were underwater - frustrating at times. Below is the Frogg Togg color I use and really like it BUT I just checked my parka and I don't have the reflective piping so not sure what to tell you except maybe call them.

LargeGrayRoadToad.jpg

Ok, We have the pretty much exact same thing as you have below but different brand. It seems to work good, but its taking time to adapt to layout hunting because we usually have something to hide behind and it feels different and seems like the birds are looking right at me and I have no way to hide. It seems the divers are flying high where we are hunting and they can look right into the boat ...

This is our 3rd weekend in a row we've takin the layout boat to get used to it. We are on a bay with plenty of hunters in shore blinds,boat blinds,and layout boats. We have been seeing tons of birds,but only got one bluebill so far. Other guys are crushing them and it seems every time we hunt a different area the birds go back to where we were just set up at. One of these times they wont be too lucky and go to the wrong place. Its gonna take a few seasons to really start to figure it out. We would be able to hunt the layout alot more if it wasnt for the area we hunt being 3 hours away... Luke

Luke,
Movement is critical when sitting in a layout boat. Don't move.
Now, the most effective way (though not always easy as it takes some getting used to) is covering the layout with visqueen...6 mil, translucent construction plastic.
There's a tutorial on visqueen on my website...give it a look. It's amazing. It can mean the difference between NO birds working your rig and birds running into your gun barrel. We've seen it and hunted it like that. Very effective and hard to believe until you've seen it.
Check the "Visqueen as Camo" on my website: www.lockstockbarrell.com
Holler with questions.
Lou

I USE AN OVERSIZED CARHART HOODED SWEATSHIRT WICH I CAN WEAR SEVERAL LAYERS UNDER IT.I CANT FIND GREY COLORED RAIN SUITS THAT WOULD BE IDEAL .BECAUSE THE SWEATSHIRTS USUALLY GET REALL WET IN THE LAYOUTS . JOHN

I agree you are overthinking it!
I have hunted PI Bay for many years and all we ever wore were the gray hooded sweatshirts. Yes they got soaked but if you take a couple you can change easily. You are eithr not where the birds want to be ,not on their path or you're moving. Don't try to get ready before there in. They will be plenty close and you'll have lots of time to shoot. When we could use lead we shot every thing from Cans to Bills with 7 1/2 shot trap loads and had very few cripples. Get in their path,Stay still, don't downwind anyone and you'll have a good time. John

Back