layout boats

Billy

I am considering aquiring a layout boat over the summer. Any thoughts on pros and cons of the Kalash VS the Busick. I would like to possibly build one, and like the Kalash design, but have been able to find plans anywhere. Any advice on layout hunting would also be appreciated.

If you can find a Kalash boat BUY IT!!!!! Not only are they the Roles Royce of layouts but a piece of history to boot.

Heres a pic of ours....before the repaint

Mvc-003f.jpg

Is there an advantage to a one man over a two man layout. My main concern is stability. This boat will be used on the Pokomoke Sound on the Chesapeake Bay

I don't know if a one man is any more or less stabile than a 2 man, but I don't think that is an issue. I have hunted out of MLB Classic when a 20' sea ark flat was heading in because IT was taking on water. If the MLB will not do it... I will not be out anyway. The hard part for me is the Pain inthe #### that a two man is. Towing vs putting in the boat... going down the road.. Many set ups aren't condusive to trailering with the two man layout in the boat, (or they are just to darn heavy to lift into the boat... If that is the case, you need another truck and trailer to get to the launch. I woul d100 % of the time prefer 2- 1 man layouts (MLB's) to a 2 man of any design.

JMO

Dear Billy,

You came to a great website to ask this question. Lots of great information here, from some very experienced people.

Both the Kalash and the Busick designs are great boats. Paul Busick has very well detailed plans that can be purchased from him directly. You can call Paul at; (440) 988-7160.

John Kalash is still building boats, last I heard. I believe that he will also sell a boat that is partially assembled... you wrap the perimeter with cloth and glass, and glass the top and bottom surfaces. I owned one of John's two man boats for 23 years, and one of his one man boats for 2 years. Both great boats, for certain. You can call John at; (517) 849-5022. A phone call to John is an unforgettable experience.

For additional information on layout hunting, I would invite you to visit our website. Here is a link to several related topics;

http://mightylayoutboys.com/domino/mlb/MLB_resources.nsf?OpenDatabase&Start=1&Count=50&Expand=5

In closing, layout boat hunting is truly a sport within a sport, replete with great adventure.

God Bless,

Mark Rongers

Back