Lighted Head Gear for putting out decoys

jaclinto

What is everyones suggestion for lighted headgear for putting out decoys in the morning. Aside from the headlamps, I have seen cat eyes, www.bosshead-lite.com, petzl, streamlight. Anyone have any feedback on these? I was looking to buy about 10 for my hunting party.

I have a light kind of like this one. Click here
Mine clips underneath the bill not on top, not a big difference but I think I'd look for ones that clip under. It is the best headlamp I have ever used. I have seen hats with lights built in and it just seems strange to me to wear them all day unless you have a need for it. I can unclip mine and put it in my bag once it starts to lighten up, I like that. It is not very heavy and if you have a hat that fits well you barely notice it.

Tim

I use the same kind that I use for mountaineering- namely a Black Diamond. It works just fine and stows pretty easy in a pocket when the sun comes up. It's got the dual light stuff, and the LEDs go forever.

If you like smaller, then Petzl makes some compact jobs that work well.
Geoff

I use one that was recommended here..I think it's a Ray-o-vac and you get them for about 8 bucks..has red and clear led's and I'm amazed at the light it puts out.

I use to have a headlight that was just the frames of a pair of glasses with a small light in each corner. When you opened them up the lights come on. I loved those. I used them bowhunting walking in/out to my stand in the mornings/nights. My buddy said I looked like a space alien with them on.

Funny story. I was living/hunting in north Florida at the time. It was getting dark and I was walking out of the woods. My buddy was alreadt at the truck waiting for me. He could hear my sloshing through the shallow water and the bounce of my headlights with my steps. all of a sudden the lights start moving crazily and then straight up, followed by a splash and a word or two I won't repeat! I was walking along looking down, cottonmouths only get madder when you step on them! Just as I was about to walk into a giant spider web I saw it and tried to turn and miss it. This caused my treestand on my back to shift causing me to lose my balance, eventually falling backwards into the ankle deep water.

Dave and I had a lot of good times hunting and fishing around Gainesville in the late '80's.

Tom

I have a head lamp that is made by energizer. It has 3 or 4 settings including one for night vision. I really like the night vision setting as the light is low enough that it does not screw up your eyes adjustment to the dark. I find I can actually see better in the dark without bright light but the night vision is handy. You can also tilt the light. It's pretty small and light so it does not bother you wearing it on your head. I use mine both for duck hunting and night fishing. I got mine for around 10 bucks at walmart.

I'll second the rayovac headlamp. Cheap, has three light functions. I've had it for ~3 yrs no problems.

That's what I have..Energizer..not Ray-o-vac. It's cool when you get something that works so well without costing a mint.

Cats eyes in GREEN LED, 3 of them, clip to the underside of the bill. They work great for me. I love the fact that the GREEN light does not ruin your night vision like any of the white/blue LED lights. Shed more light than red ones and guys see them from a lot farther away then you think and for me it helps that guys see another GREEN light from the distance so maybe they think it is another boat or whatever and give me more space.

10 bucks at Fleet Farm.

Welp, since you asked whut everyones suggestion is. Mine is none. Seems kinda queer to me. We've had a couple folks show up with those things, and none of them ever weathered the ridicule enough to wear them again. Then again, my bunch is like a pack of wolves, we seek out the weak and different and cull em! I put hatlites in the same category as things to make your calls float (how in the hell would a grown man loose his calls in the water anyway?) & those neck cracker things. Acryclic duck calls you can't blow and goofy hats are right up there, along with hard gun cases. Actually its only been in the last couple years we've even tolerated any kind of gun cases, so maybe we're softening some.

I can only imagine harker wearing his lookin like sum kinda bunghole miner.

Maybe we kill em, maybe we don't, but any man showing up looking any different is certainly going to be singled out and ridculed for it. We are men after all. travis

Cats eyes are the cats meow. I've been usin' them fer 3 seasons, bought the rest of my crew them this year. They are, light, bright, and easy to use.

I dunno whut that means. Not registered over there... if you are meybe you could find out if that new duck scent macks sells really works like they say! bwhahahahaa. travis

Back