Loctite PL Marine in place of 3M 5200?

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
I know Mark will set me straight, but was in HD today at lunch, got a can of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing, some Gorilla Glue, and some Plasti-dip Spray, and was looking for another tube of 5200. Was not able to find the 5200, so pulled up the HD inventory on my phone and it substituted the Loctite PL Marine. It is advertise to do exactly what 5200 does, but is cheaper at less than $13 at my store.

Loctite PL Marine Fast Cure Adhesive Sealant is a fast setting, moisture cure adhesive sealant which delivers strong bonds while forming a watertight, flexible seal above or below the waterline once cured. Free of solvents, phthalates and isocyanides, it will not shrink when cured, discolor from UV exposure or bubble on damp surfaces. Once cured, it withstands both saltwater and freshwater environments.
  • Ideal for through-hull fastening and deck fittings
  • Fast setting: sets in 30 minutes
  • Fully cured in 24 hours
  • Use above or below waterline once cured
  • Recommended for applications such as through-hull fastening, deck fittings, deck to hull joints, port lights, moldings, struts and planking and stem joints
  • Adheres to teak and other woods, fiberglass, vinyl, glass, FRP, metal, gel coat, polycarbonate and most plastics (test all plastic substrates for bond strength and compatibility before use)
  • Watertight, flexible bond
  • Once cured, it withstands both saltwater and freshwater environments
Anyone have any experience? I did not buy it, looked at Lowe's site, I see the 5200 there, but it is $24 a tube!

Dave~

Might be worth a try - on something like decoy keels until I know more.

BTW: 3M 5200 is $17.99 at Jamestown Distributors - for White or Black 10-oz cartridges. I buy so much marine stuff there that I joined their VIP club - so I never pay shipping. (A friend just ordered a tube through our local Ace Hdwr and paid $24.)

BTW2: Best thing I learned here recently was putting opened tubes in the refrigerator.

All the best,

SJS

Don?t know about this Loctite product but have been out of the sealants part of the business for some time. Loctite makes some good products no doubt.

Another tip to keep 5200 around for awhile is to vacuum bag it. 5200 is a moisture curing urethane. It utilizes moisture in the air to start and maintain the reaction so if you remove moisture from the environment in which it is stored it stays uncured.

Mark

Last edited:
i used the locktite marine to attach the ceder keels to my cork decoys - two seasons so far and no sign of any problem

Mark,

Just curious. What is the shelf life of 5200. I just replaced transom boards and thru hardware last night on an aluminum boat and used an unopened tube that must be 3 years old now. It seemed fine but I guess I'll know tonight if it cured or not.

Ed L. said:
Mark,

Just curious. What is the shelf life of 5200. I just replaced transom boards and thru hardware last night on an aluminum boat and used an unopened tube that must be 3 years old now. It seemed fine but I guess I'll know tonight if it cured or not.

It will last forever.... Couldn't resist. I don't know off the top of my head. It may be printed on the container or you can look on line. Might be interesting to call 3M tech support and see what they have to say.

Mark

Ed,

If I remember correctly 5200 will skin over in 24 hrs. but takes 4-5 days to set completely. You could mist it with water to speed the process - maybe.

Ed L. said:
Mark,

Two words,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, destructive testing. [ninja]

Huntindave McCann said:
Ed L. said:
Mark,

Two words,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, destructive testing. [ninja]

It's a 12' aluminum boat which will have a 6.5hp longtail motor on it. I'm pretty sure there is neither sufficient mass nor horse power to produce enough momentum for destructive testing!...Lol....but I've been wrong before!

Pete McMiller said:
Ed,

If I remember correctly 5200 will skin over in 24 hrs. but takes 4-5 days to set completely. You could mist it with water to speed the process - maybe.

4-5 days to completely cure really depends upon how the product is used and if moisture can get to the adhesive. I've seen it cure faster, and I have seen it cure significantly slower. It is so crucial to design the bond correctly.

Worked with a large Fishing Boat manufacturer sometime back (by large I mean several million $'s/yacht). They were bonding multiple layers or wood to make a transom and encapsulating it in fiberglass right away. The strength of the transom was not what they wanted it to be and they wondered why. Pretty easy answer.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+8710663+8710835+3293241623&rt=rud

Mark

I don't know about this new stuff, but I built about half of my widgeon with PL 500 about thirty years ago, and it's holding up just fine. At the time, PL 500 was touted as being a water proof outdoor adhesive. I have "0" complaints or concerns.

Jon

Back