Looking for 14-15' boat hull suggestions please.

Gene

Hello All,

As hunting season is comming to a close here in PA I find myself thinking about next year and how I could improve my oppertunities, as I am sure we all do. I figured I would ask the vast knowledge on this site your opinions and thoughts about hulls. I am looking to add a second boat to my fleet and have a desire of going a bit larger than my current rig, only a bit. I have a BBSB style boat that I can easily hunt 2 out of. I would like to get into something with a bit more freeboard, a deeper v than I currantly have, and really no more than around a 10-11" draft in say a 14-15 footer that I can hunt 3. It would be hunting big rivers and shallow bays and could see some heavy stuff up to maybe 3 footers.

Now here is where I am truly looking for input. I am not really looking at the usuals... Bankes, Duckwater, TDB on the basis of price. I regularly hunt out of a friends 17' freedom which is really nice. But these name brand rigs have a used starting point of $10,000 and up I can't see myself playing in that sandbox. I understand you get what you pay for, however, you can't get what you can't pay for. I am very capable around the shop as well as canvas work and I am willing to put in the effort. I am not apposed to starting from scratch and building a complete rig wether it be stitch and glue or aluminum. But before I start I would like to know what older "hulls" are out there that you folks find worthy. For example, the boston whalers are very plentiful and seem quite seaworthy though I don't see many conversions to duck rigs? I like the design of the Boston whaler Dauntless hull but what are your thoughts? Are there any other makers hulls that you would suggest? Pics, if you have them would be great!!

Basics I am looking to get out of a new rig...
- A better and dryer ride while in heavy chop. My BBSB at around 200lbs bobs around and is not built or heavy enough to "cut" waves.
- More HP as I would like to cover more ground, my BBSB has a 15hp
- I would like to be able to fit an extra hunter as well as have a higher load capacity.
- I would like to take my children out fishing and crabbing during the summer.

Any thoughs or suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Gene

I converted a 1960 Larson into a duck boat and have been very happy with it. I see boats all the time that look like they would be excellent conversion candidates. Their are numerous hulls laying around that have high sides, closed bows and big open cockpit areas. I saw an aluminum Starcraft with aclsed bow a few months back that was a beast, probably close to 20 foot long, would have made an excellent tender for diver hunting. If I was in your situation, I would probably be looking for something very solid if its going to be handling 3 footers in bad weather. I am pretty fond of aluminum and would be checking ebay, craigslist, and just looking around while out driving for that next treasure. Let me know if I can help down here close to the Bay.

dc

I have a Dave Clark built Devlin Scaup- comfortably holds two guys and as much stuff as you want to carry. I have a 25 on it and it screams. I believe Dave is still building them .

I think about that idea all the time. The whaler is top on the list I like the 9ft one I think it would be awesome decked like a sneakbox and those boats are unsinkable. Also the other one I look at it the carolina skiff its flat bottom so won't draft mutch water and has a open floor plan but no "V" I also look at the old glass hulls on craigslist. On this site there are pics of a boat that a buy cut up and decked into a sneak boat semi V looks good check it out good luck

Gene,

I hunted for years out of a 1976 14' Deep V Mirrowcraft with a 35hp. Then I moved up to a 1986 16' Deep V Starcraft with a 50hp. I'm now in a 17' Deep V Mitchcraft CC with a 50hp. Any of these boats have been exceptional big water boat.....well river/lake boat. Just saying, lots of options.

A lot of 14-15 foot boats will get you home in 3 foot seas if you are careful--and if you have to. I don't think you'll find many that will make those conditions pleasant, comfortable, or anything you'd want to do on a regular basis.

When you step up to the 16-17 foot range, you are getting a lot more boat.

I have a 14 foot Lowe V hull with a 15 HP 2 stroke. I've had it in 3 foot whitecaps and it was safe if I did what I was supposed to do, but it was not fun and I was a couple of mistakes from being in trouble until I found a lee shore. As for speed, my Lowe is a pretty light boat, and the 15 will give me a about 15 mph. I could put a 25 on it and get more, but I'd rather have less weight on the transom and a little less speed.

(Never been a big fan of the "speed for safety" argument--maybe because I grew up in canoes and small sailboats and rowboats. When sailing, the first thing to do in bad weather is reduce sail and slow down, and perhaps that tendency has stayed with me into my powerboat phase.)

Friends of mine have a Lund Alaska, 18 footer, with a 40 horse 4 stroke. It would definitely handle the conditions you describe. A 16 footer wouldn't be quite so comfortable, but I think you'd be fine. Either of those is a LOT more boat than my 14 footer.

3' is alot of water comming at you. I don't think I 'd like to be in a 14 or 15' duck boat in a 3' sea wheather its a following or a head sea, if you're planning to gun in that kind of weather I'd look for something bigger . A lot bigger.

With waves I guess it depends on how you measure them. From talking to people, I think that most are measuring trough to crest. However I was told that the correct wave measurement is half of the trough to crest height. Either way 3 foot is significant and a true 3 footer is not something that most people would want to go out in.

But back to boats... the aluminum V-hulls that were mentioned make good open water duck boats. I’ve got a Smokercraft with a 50hp and my friend has a Starcraft with a 25 hp. Both have hard sided blinds. These have the V in the bow but not in the stern (not "Deep V’s"). They ride decent in the waves but the draft is mainly limited by the outboard. They are fairly common used.

I do agree though, that a 16' - 17' will be much more of a duckboat than a 14'.

I'd go for a 16' if you plan to hunt 3. I've hunted/fished 3 in my "new" 14' smokercraft and while its do'able, it was crowded and not fun.
Try to find a Lund or Starcraft, lots of used ones up north. The older Starcraft hulls are built like tanks, have a flexible floor plan and there are tons of them out there.
Or a get 16' garvey from Dave Clark.

Well I want to truly thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. You all make some very sound points, so I guess I should start looking for a 16-18 footer then. I really wanted to stick with something small for hideability and ease if by chance I wanted to use it in the salt marsh for puddlers. In my BBSB I would regularly hunt the jersey shore and mix it up for puddlers and divers. What are your thoughts on some of the center console fishing boats that seem to be everywhere? They seem to have an open concept floor plan that could work out well. I have seen some old Boston whaler montauks or even some Kenners that are rather inexpensive in comparison to the big duckboat companies.

Thanks Again;
Gene

Most of the center console fishing boats would be great conversion projects. And in the end I think less total money to finnish if bought right. But you will find that most of them have poorly designed stern setups for cold water winter work. The huge feature that I like about Phils boat and the Banks is the full stern. These keep the sea out if the boat gets a boarding wave in the back end.
Easy to design one into a conversion but most need it. Plan for that and the "Whale Back" cockpit deck and you are on your way.
Beaching a glass boat on rocks takes a toll on it but it can be reglassed.
I dont like hunting 3 out of my 16 foot boat with a dog. Too tight with guns.
Bob

If I was looking for 16-18' duck boat... hands down I would be looking for a TDB17 SeaClass, or a Banks 17 Freedom. 2 years ago, I was seeing used TDB's for $6000 with trailer. They will go shallow, and take rough water. If you are building.... you have quite a few other options. If I were to go down to 1 boat from my 14' TDB Classic and my 20' Devlin. I would be looking for the above vessels.

A lot of 14-15 foot boats will get you home in 3 foot seas if you are careful--and if you have to. lol i was in a springbok 14 deep hull with a 15 evenrude and set of 20 foot rogue waves over took us traveling at incredible speeds..im still here but i can atest my partners seaworthyness to saving our bacon,tho we did take on a little water on the first down hill rollercoaster ride...i bailed it out we rode out the 20 odd some waves,,,,,even had a coast gaurd helo come check us out as a few lobster boats didnt fear so well.. good luck im searching as well.... sherm

I was like you and really wanted a Bankes but with family and other commitments realized I could not really afford a single purpose boat. I shopped about and ended up with an 1999 Lund Alaskan, 18 footer with a 30 hp Honda. Great all around boat after I painted and put a blind on it. Very reasonable price and super simple (pull start, no power trim etc.). Love it and it is still light enough for very shallow water. It will handle almost anything within reason. Great in shallow marshes and enough weight and power for sea ducking. Inexpensive versatile boat. Good luck with your search.

View attachment IMG_0971.jpg
View attachment IMG_0971.jpg

Last edited:
whalers really are amazing little craft. for a glass boat they probably get abused more than anything else on the market, they stand the test of time and are readily availaible almost everywhere. I don't think you could go wrong with a whaler conversion. Anyone on this boatd would be hard pressed to make an arguement that their boat is a more seaworthy craft. if you buy an old one, make sure you check its weight, once their outer skin is punctured they are notorious for becoming a sponge. If a puncture is properly cared for, ie ground out and patched quickly, no problem.

I have a 15 foot try hull
with a 25 hp johnson seahorse
and I flip up blind with palm grass mats on it
has swivel seats in it blends in great
asking 1600 pm me if interested

Back