Lorain, Ohio duck hunters end up in water

Capt Jeff Kraynik

By CARLY ZIMMER and KELLY
PETRYSZYNnews@morningjournal.com

MORNING JOURNAL/JIM BOBEL Two men were coming back from duck hunting off �Hot Waters� when their boat capsized near the dock in Lorain. Pat Costello gets down on his knees to help get his boat up to the launch. Costello was one of the men in the water.

LORAIN – Two men returning from a day of duck hunting on Lake Erie Thursday afternoon, ended up in the water when their small boat capsized.

The capsized boat was spotted near the Hot Waters boat ramp shortly after 3 p.m. on Thursday.

The boat capsized due to high winds, forcing Pat Costello and another man into the water and entangling Costello in a string of duck decoys, Assistant Lorain Fire Chief Gary Burls said. He was eventually freed and both boaters returned safely to the shore.

Lorain firefighters assisted the men in pulling the boat back to land. The U.S. Coast Guard was on scene to assist in the rescue.

“Perfect weather for hunting does not always make for perfect boating weather,” Coast Guard Chief Andrew Coppa said.

Coppa estimated the winds near the shore to be blowing at about 28 knots when the boat capsized. He estimated the water to be about 57 degrees.

Duck hunting season is between Oct. 15 and 30 and then between Nov. 19 and Jan. 1.

http://www.morningjournal.com/video/?va_id=2950355&pl_id=21360&ref=synd

http://www.morningjournal.com/...t?viewmode=fullstory

mj5177615.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty small boat to be out in 28 knot wind. Its scary to think about endng up in the water during a cold windy day. Glad all went well and they were saved.

Capt Jeff

On the safety side of things, I dont see anybody in the picture with a life jacket on, I sure hope they had them, it also says a lot to have your decoys in bags not only for protection but so you car,nt get tangled up in lines like one of these guys did, that is a lesson to be learned and Im glad both of these guys are safe Thanks for post this information.

Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about building that Bond.

If they weren't, I bet the will from now on!!!

None of my boats leave the ramps w/o everyone WEARING their life jackets.

Just glad it all turned out Okay!!!

That looks like a pretty small boat to be out in 28 knot wind. Its scary to think about endng up in the water during a cold windy day. Glad all went well and they were saved.

X2

I agree wholeheartedly!

Jeff, don't the Dani's Florida lizards thin out the stupid ones like that though. Darwin at his best? ;>) Trip.

You got me on that one Jeff....bwahahahha

I got you & didn't even mean to!!!

Went I meant to say was, "You've not seen the hunters in Florida then"

But I like your interpitation better!!! LOL

Last season we had a "gail warning" go up around 2 am with sustained winds out of the west @ 35 with gust over 45 mph.

It was no surpise, they were predicting it during the 6 o'clock news.

There's a large, square impounded that averages (4) four foot deep in our area that offers no protection.

To enter the large walk-in area to the east of it, you have to launch into the impoundment & beach your boat along the eastern shoreline.

Needless to say when it was all over, (7) seven boats either were swamped along the shoreline or sunk (some with people on board) trying to make it make to the ramp.

Luckily, no one drowned or was injured, other than somes pride.

Oh, did I mention they had the option of walking in or riding their bikes atop the levee? LOL

Last edited:
I remember back about 78-80 Jon Blue(the younger) forgetting to bring in his anchor and pulling the transom under on a 16 foot Monark. Up on Indian Lake if memory serves.

Back