Make a hole in the ice and the birds will come...

John L

After taking a ride this morning I was able to cut out some paths in the ice and when the tide changed it opened it up a bit more.
It always amazes me how fast the birds will find the open water.
This area was all ice covered early this morning now after a few hours it is loaded with ducks. The Sea Gulls are standing on the edge of the ice. Conditions were not the best for taking photos but I'm sure you get the idea.

It looking better and better by the hour.

John, that is an awesome series of photos. Thanks for sharing. Some really pretty birds there.

The detail on the side of the hen Scaup is really beautiful.

Chad

Great photographs...I need to carve out some time to break ice too if I plan to get out this weekend.

Very nice pics! Went out yesterday morning broke our way through the ice a bit, managed a few bufflehead. Birds all over with any open water out there
864c2469-2617-4d4d-83cd-902e712077c6_zps7f7f5921.jpg

on thick ice you might try some blue dye with your decoys set in the dyed area. lay up wind on a air mattress in a sleeping bag covered with a white painters tarp.

Jon~

Beautiful photos! Isn't ice just magical?

I was on the Island the last few days - had a couple of fine shoots - and heard lots of stories of the "exotic" species out on the Bay.

Stay dry today!

All the best,

SJS

Great pictures John. Is it worth leaving the redhead decoys in my boat when I come down next weekend? Usually I leave them here at home, and just truck down with the broadbill and Buffy blocks.

John,

I rarely see Red heads in this area but with the cold weather that hit us we are seeing a lot of different species. I can't say if they will stick around or not but better to have them if they stay around. When are you planning on coming down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving down this coming Friday evening. Should be hunting Saturday and Sunday. Return home Sunday or Monday.

I'll leave redheads in the rig. The broadbill and redhead up here socialize all the time, so it shouldn't hurt to have some exotic red in the mix.

Will we see you at the launch?

Last edited:
I sure enjoyed those pictures, John. Now I am curious as to what you broke that ice with and how thick it was? I found it interesting that you don't see too many redheads in your area.
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Al

Driving down this coming Friday evening. Should be hunting Saturday and Sunday. Return home Sunday or Monday.

I'll leave redheads in the rig. The broadbill and redhead up here socialize all the time, so it shouldn't hurt to have some exotic red in the mix.

Will we see you at the launch?

John,

I have not seen any more Redheads since last Wednesday or Thursday. It looks like they went away with the ice.
The plan is to launch from Wantagh but if I'm seeing more birds to the east we will launch from my office in Lindenhurst.
Dave Diefenderfer and Rufus will be coming up from Va. this weekend with there boats. Let me know if you would like to join us. I'll let you know where and when as we get closer to the weekend. Are you bringing the boys with you?

I sure enjoyed those pictures, John. Now I am curious as to what you broke that ice with and how thick it was? I found it interesting that you don't see too many redheads in your area.
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Al

Al,

I used a Black Brant III to open up the ice. It was only 2-3" thick so it was not to bad. The sea ice is not as hard and rigid as fresh water ice. So, it is a lot easier to get thru but it does stack up and move fast when the wind changes. As far as the Redheads go, I don't see them around here so when I do it is a real treat.

We are planning to launch from Wantagh, maybe we'll see you there.

Ethan has a hockey game next weekend, but Ben will be coming down with me. When I talked to Ethan about the trip I could tell he was a little torn between the two. I think that the next time I come down for a hunt, Ethan will be with me.

Back