More Strip Canoe build photos

Bob ,

Great pics !!!! always loved those strip built canoes real classic look , what size is it ? Is it yours ? keep us posted

Thanks

Dave M

Dave,
I posted a few other pictures the other day with the story.
Here is the link,

more canoe pictures

Have you started your next build?

Give me a shout about getting together over the holiday week if it works out for you and Andrew.

Bob

You sir are a very skilled woodworker. Absolutley beautiful. In fact it looks better than most fine furniture folks have in their homes.

Eric

Not my work Eric,
But I will tell the builder what you said. I feel the same way and can not wait for this to be finished.

Is that going to be a decked canoe? Is that the deck for it laying beside it? Never mind, I just went back and saw the earlier pics. SCHWIIING!

Last edited:
That thing makes me want to start another project. Good thing I know I'm way too impatient and have WAY too many other projects to make one of them right now. Eventually it'll be a strip built scull boat for me.

-D

Dutch,
the templates came from a kit that the builder bought from an outfit, I think from NH. He bought his wood from them too. I will try to find the name.
For any one looking at building this do not be intimidated by the joinery. Fussy fitting if you do the inlays and fancy stuff in the top shown, but the hull is an easy job due to the cove and bead 3\4 inch wide strips. They lay together easy and all you have to do is fit the end. Its only 1\4 inch thick so sanding and cutting with a hand saw are easy. The secret is in the cloth and epoxy after you finish which makes the thing a cored panel with curve which adds unbelievable stiffness.
No knock, but the builder was not a pro woodworker before starting this and we are all blow away at the shop at how fair the hull shape came out, and the top looks great with the contrasting wood color. Will be awesome with varnish.
I just like the curve shapes that could be suited to duck boat work with paint.
I put these pictures here to show another way to build a hull that was not a flat panel based shape, like a barnegat or a sneek or other.
The router bits for milling stock to cove and bead are available from Jasada or Infinity. A band saw would save stock when resawing, but a table saw would work fine.

Bob, I am interested in all the kayak kind of info I can get. Thinking about building one for a favorite niece and her new husband. A tandem I think is what they would like. I probably will build another Devlin but not for a couple years. Have always wanted to build a stripper buit something always got in the way. Now I have a few builds under my belt and want to try a "pretty " boat.

Last edited:
I would LOVE a Rangely 17! With a dry bag tucked under the aft deck and a forward casting deck, that thing would be awesome on the Hood Canal.

Ron

Wow! Cool and awesome do not do this justice. This is one of the better resurrected old posts.

Tim

Bob, you are an absolute master builder. Very well done. I'm impressed. That canoe belongs in a journal magazine.
Lou

Lou,
I'll tell the guy putting it together how you feel. Its not mine and I wouldn't take an ounce of credit for it. I love the lines of this one and It really shows how you can develop shape with the strip plank method. This is the first boat built by this builder. If it weren't for some of those endless nights thinking about how to do the next step it would have been done in a year.

Cedar, Ash, and some darker Redwood.

Looks great! We've built three cedar strip kayaks. There is a great deal of satisfacion in the building process, and even more in taking that first trip in a canoe/kayak that you created with your own hands. Enjoy!

Back