My (they sure ain't Mike's) Buffy rig

Scott Farris

I've been messing with these for a while now and it's time to fit them with keels and get on to other projects. The Mallard is included for my reference. It's the first decoy I ever made (1982), a multiple layer, hollow pine body that never saw water. I really should call it a riding toy because every toddler who ever stayed with us (starting with my daughters) used it to scoot around the carpeted floors. Twenty five years later I still don't know Jack about carving but I have handled a bunch more decoys so there has been some improvement. I look forward to learning more and hopefully losing that lost feeling when I have the small delicate paint brushes in my mits.

buffplus1a.jpg

From left to right:

buffhen.jpg

lftdrake.jpg

Middrakebuff.jpg

rtdrakebuff.jpg

I'm sure a few if you will wonder why the drakes are painted with different paint schemes. Well besides being a bit twisted, I spent a good bit of time pouring over pictures of buffy decoys and I liked a number of different styles so since it's all for the fun of it I did mine with the different schemes. I'm hoping that when they're floating with two of Bomber's cork blocks they will make a nice little rig.

With respect to details, the drakes are Bass Wood and the hen is cedar. All are hollowed out.

carve4.jpg

carve5a.jpg

Scott

Ah, the brant heads are part of one of those projects I have to move on to. There is a story behind them so that's another post when I'm further along. The good new is we have a three brant, longer season this year :^)

Scott

Back