NDR - checking trolling motor

Rocky S

Working on the assumption that someone on this forum can provide direction on nearly any topic imaginable, some of them even worthwhile, I have a question:

Saturday while fishing my trolling motor stopped working, when I got home I found that battery wouldn't take a charge. How do I determine if the battery failed on its own, or if there is something wrong with the trolling motor that caused the battery to fail? I would hate to buy a new battery only to ruin it when I hooked up the trolling motor. If I "ohm out" the trolling motor how much resistance should I see? What else should I check?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

first i would pop the terminals on the battery, be careful not to get any liquid on you, and if you dou wash your hands, check to see if there is water in those terminals,if empty, fill with distilled water, if there is water take a volt meter after you charge it. those tests can rule out the battery. now pop the hood on your truck and get a connection on the trolling motor to see if your trolling motor works if it dosent check the prop for obstruction grass,fishing line, moss etc. hope this helps some
keith

a "quick test" on a another battery with your trolling motor wont hurt the battery.... is it a foot controlled or transom mount motor? how old is the battery?

I hooked the motor up to my battery charger and it worked fine, so it must be the battery.

I think I bought the battery last summer, so it is probably still under warranty, I'm going to take it back.

Back