NDR - Truck Bed Winch implemented

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
As I am getting older, and my circle is getting smaller, I am finding that I need to be more self-sufficient. A couple yrs ago, I invested in the receiver hitch hydraulic lift to pick outboards on and off without a hernia.

Now I am noodling out a bed winch set up. Last night I picked up a free 8750watt generator and was shocked at the weight of it. Took 3 of us to safely lift it into the bed, as I had not thought to bring the hitch lift.

What I am thinking is the next addition to my arsenal is the 2500lb Harbor Freight Badlands winch, and a set of foldable aluminum ramps. I am thinking that an oak plank, 3" thick would fit nice behind the lower tie-off hooks in the bed of my truck. Bolting the winch through the plank, so that I can slide it out when not in use?

I don't plan to pull anywhere near 2500lbs, but more like up to 400 or so.

Thoughts on this scheme?

Dave

I found these set-ups with google. I often find seeing what others have done helps me make my own while not spending a wad of dough for a commercial unit. I've linked just a few below. In my shop I typically use a "cherry picker" aka engine hoist to load/unload equipment. But it requires smooth concrete and being able to use the item while in the truck and out of my shop.

I think the rail is a better plan. I already have a pr of Eye Bolts that I drilled through the cap and rails that can be utilized to control forward travel, and a pair of clamps can be easily added to keep it from rotating under load. I will post as I pull it together.

I spent the week noodling this plan through and executed this weekend. Saturday, after helping a church member move in the morning, I picked through a pile of rough cut oak and selected a board. I spent the evening planning and sizing it. Today after church, I stopped at Harbor Freight, and took advantage of the Father's Day coupons. For $80, I got the 2500lb winch, with wired and wireless remote, and a mounting plate.

P1030900.JPG448386899_10235080229852926_8076259477767160195_n.jpg

I have a 7 pin plug on order, and need to order some 2 conductor wire and a couple plugs. I plan to keep everything tight on the cross piece, and have the wire separate. A wire to the 7 pin socket at the rear bumper and a short module to use the jump box as an option

https://www.facebook.com/1421364622/videos/pcb.10235080227492867/1600012763907062.

Last edited:
That would really be nice loading a deer into trk. bed. by ones self.
Yes! I haven't deer hunted in about 10 or so yrs. I have a cart. I could place the handle on the edge of the tailgate and then pivot and shove. The winch would make it much easier. I still need to come up with a ramp plan.

Back