need some help on gluing styrofoam

uncle mike pierce

I want to glue up high density styrofoam (2" like they lay down underneath poured concrete slabs) to make 4" and/or 6" thick decoy blanks. I plan to use them in teach youth carvers to carve their first decoy.

What glues can I use to glue the styrofoam? I want to keep the cost down, so I was hoping to avoid pricey glues like West System epoxies.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gorilla glue is what I have used for the same purpose. No need to get full coverage, but certainly cover enough that will hold the pieces together after the blank of foam has been given it's rough shape.

thanks for the suggestion. I have used gorilla glue before on other projects, including decoys. Two questions:

1. What/how are you clamping it up? Just putting weight on top of it (like concrete blocks)?
2. Any problems with sanding the gorilla glue line, i.e., is it a lot harder than the styrofoam and tough to get around?

Thanks...........

Mike~

I've tried Styrofoam glue (in caulking tubes) and Gorilla Glue and Titebond/Elmers - but I use epoxy from US Composites - got the idea from this site - much cheaper than WEST and I've liked it so far. I think it's at least as inexpensive as gorilla glue ounce for ounce - and I always have some around the shop. Also, I coat the foamer with epoxy and sawdust (haven't tried burlap yet) so I need it for that phase as well.

It IS much harder than the foam and you need to contend with that when shaping. I use a coarse rasp alot on foam and I'm just careful to hit the epoxy line at an angle with the rasp.

Also, I use 1/4" AC ply bottom board - give some to attach (deck screws) the keel to, to protect the "chines", and to give a bearing for the SS screw eye with which I attach the head.

12-clampwithblock_zps0decc165.jpg

I clamp the sandwich (here 3 pieces of foam plus the plywood bottom board.) with a woodworkers clamp (any deep throated clamp will do) - but you need to fuss a bit to make sure the pieces do not slide around. I use wooden toothpicks to register the pieces.

For a tail insert, I use 1/8 plastic (cut from an industrial drum lid from my farmers) but plywood or masonite will work, esp if sealed in epoxy.

Foam is a great medium for beginning carvers - of any age. And, if I were making a goose rig, it's what I'd surely use.

All the best,

SJS

hello Uncle Mike, hope all is well over there.

I agree with Jeff, contact cement is my favorite, and the fact that it does not create as "hard" of a line as gorilla or tite bond is nice. I would never waste epoxy on this project personally. I however, do like US composites as well.

Have a great summer.

Eric & Jeff~

I think I'll try the contact cement on my next foamer. Can you avoid clamping altogether?

Thanks,

SJS

Steve,

yes. One really good push to get the two surfaces to bond and viola, you are done. At best i might throw a weight on the top for 1-2 hours while I wait for it to dry to be safe. (or go work on some other honey do project)

Eric.

I use spray adhesive as well. Make sure it doesn't go on too thick or it will melt the foam. I've got a bunch of contact cement from a counter top job in my house that I may have try if I use foam again.

Back