New Shotgun

Bill Gass

My new shotgun should arrive in the mail on Tuesday, in the end I decided to go with the Rem 870 Express, skeet and IC chokes and the wing stopper sight. I was out looking around earlier this week and there are lots ducks that haved arrived in the marshes. Nice to see them back, now if it would just warm up.

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB

you should be happy with that choice, that is still my most reliable and simple gun to date.never one problem or anything that made me regret buying it.

I bought a new 870 back a few years ago. It didn't seem to work right. Remember at time I had few new guns. I told a friend who has more guns than the Springfield arsenal. He said bring it over. I can't imagine a problem with a 870. So I did. He did a field strip and more and cleaned it and lubed it. Wala no more problems. Action smooth as slik, no more trigger problems, no more missfires. It's become my turkey gun.

OK it's official, "the eagle has landed". After 3.5 months of internet browsing and 51 days of waiting the new shotguns arrived on Wednesday. That was a pretty big box with three shotguns in it. The other guys picked up theirs last night. The only unpextected thing was that the express model has no studs on it to connect the really nice sling that I bought. Front end should be easy enough as the Mag cap already has a hole in it to accept a stud I would guess. However the rear stock looks like it would have to be drilled and a stud glued or tapped in, I'm not really sure. Any thoughts? Other than take it to a gun shop. It's brand new so I don't want to screw anything up. At the tender age of 38 this my first new gun of any type that I have purchased. Most of my guns were given to me one way or another. Well I'm off to the Miramichi tomorrow for Black Salmon so the new gun will have to wait for her maiden voyage.

Bill Gass
Oromocto, NB

Bill, if it's a composite stock, you take the recoil pad off and look inside..there should be strengthening ribs inside of it. Measure inside to it,then measure the outside and mark it...allow a little bit so you can drill a starter hole for the sling swivel stud screw right up into the rib. Congrats on the 870, read the owners manual and strip it completely apart..de-grease and re-oil and it will be a lifetime partner. My 870 is 36 years old and has NEVER given me a problem..I can't even remember a misfire out of it.

Back