new york just got worse

keith

So i got a letter in the mail today and it said anyone born after may1 1996 has to pay to take a 8 hour class to get a boaters license then pay to get the certificate added to your drivers license . Scence i was born in augest i have to do this myself even though iv ran a boat all lasy sesion

They did the same to NJ, except everyone had to take it even guys with 50 years on the water.
I think that was the last straw for my. One of many reasons why I now live in Montana now!

Another money grab, and small business Killer. Anything to curb growth, and in no way solves drunken boater problems. If a Stupid Law can be passed NY is in First Place, but they ARE Open For Business.
Monkey Business! A magnificent state, run by Dolts...

well in new Brunswick ,Canada its law here you must have a boaters card to run a motorized boat from a 2.2 hp up yes just a money grab.

Its required in every state, and in many states there is a challenge exam for experienced boaters. As for a money grab, are driver's licenses a money grab? Personally, I've seen too many people operating boats who have absolutely no business operating boats. I'm glad there are some minimum education standards for operating a boat.

Not Required in every state , Montana has no lic endorsement and no boaters card, and Trailer and boat reg is a one time fee for life.
As for money grab that is all that it was for NJ. I had the endorsement on my lic since I was 17 and had the Coast Guard boating course but not good enough.
Even boat Captains had to take their new coarse or lose their lic.

I'm on the fence on this one. I took Boater's Safety when I was 13 - given at a NYS Conservation Camp for kids. My Dad once held a Captain's License and there has always been at least one copy of Chapman's kicking around. I turn 61 in a couple of weeks and have owned dozens of boats over the years- and the next boat I build will be # 17. But, even though not required - in "upstate NY" the requirement is only for those born after 1996 - and even though none are offered here in Washington County - dairy country - I will sign up for a class later this morning. Partly out of curiosity, partly out of a recognition that things change and I may not know everything I should. Also, if I trail my Sneakbox down to Jersey, I will probably need the certification there.

Probably most important, my biggest fear when on the water has always been other boats/boaters. It's hard to argue against educating those who take the helm of any vessel - especially when they are responsible for the lives of others.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that boat registration fees here in the Empire State go right into the General Fund - and so provide no direct benefit to the boating community.

I will report on my experience - and would enjoy hearing from others who take this training - in any state. I will be checking to see if they teach the difference between a paddle and an oar (but do not anticipate a "yawl" v. "ketch" discussion....). And, if we have to demonstrate proficiency on a "personal water craft", I will abandon ship.....

All the best,

SJS

We've had the requirement here in AL since at least 2000, maybe earlier.
Once you can take the course you get "V" designation on your driver's license. At the same time, they restricted youth operators too,

I personally welcomed it, to many yahoo's out there that don't know shit about the rules of the road putting others at risk.

From our website: http://www.outdooralabama.com/boating/education.cfm
NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 12 YEARS MAY OPERATE ANY MOTORIZED VESSEL(INCLUDES PERSONAL WATERCRAFT, SUCH AS A SEA DOO, WAVERUNNER ETC.) ON ALABAMA'S WATERWAYS.
CERTIFICATION / LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR ALABAMA RESIDENTS:
** Must be 12 years old or older to be eligible for a vessel operator's license, but cannot operate alone until the age of 14.
** Operators 12 or 13 years old, after obtaining the vessel operator's license, can only operate if there is someone 21 years old or older on board, who also has a vessel operator's license in possession, and is seated in a position to take immediate control of the vessel if necessary.
** Operators 14 years old or older, after obtaining the vessel operator's license, may legally operate without supervision.
**NOTE: The operator certification/license must be in possession at time of operation.
CERTIFICATION / LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-RESIDENTS:
** Non-residents 12 years old and older, may operate on Alabama waters up to 45 days per calendar year without having to obtain a vessel operator's license. If operating a vessel for more than 45 days per calendar year, the non-resident must get an Alabama Non-Resident Vessel Operator's License. Non-residents who have obtained a vessel certification or license from their home state, may use that in lieu of the Alabama Non-Resident Vessel Operator's License.
HOWEVER: Non-resident vessel operators 12 or 13 years old, can only operate if there is someone 21 years old or older on board, who either has a valid vessel operator's license in possession or falls under the 45 day exemption period because of non-residency staus, and who is seated in a position to take immediate control of the vessel if necessary.
** Non-residents 14 years old or older, may legally operate without supervision.
How to Obtain Boat Operators Certification/License:

1. Applicant must go to Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Examining Office in county of residence.
2. Make application and pay appropriate fee ($5.00).
3. Answer medical questions.
4. Successfully complete written/oral exam, or show proof of exemption (boating course certificate of completion or age exemption) .
5. Take proper form to Probate or License Commissioners office to have the “V” class placed on driver’s license
Proof of Age: All minors must furnish a certified copy of their birth certificate, their original social security card, and a certified statement from the superintendent of the school which the person attends containing name, date of birth and address.

Cost of Certification: A one time application fee of $5.00 (five dollars) cash will be charged. There will be a $23.00 (twenty-three dollars) issuance fee for the drivers license.

How To Obtain a Duplicate Boat Operator's Certificate:
Cost per dulplicate is $5.00 payable by cash, certified check or money order.
Send written request to: Alabama Marine Police 64 North Union Street Room 438 Montgomery, Al 36130 (Attention: Education Section).
Please contact Katrina Fortson or LIsa Miles at the phone number or email address below to obtain the information you need in order to obtain a duplicate boating certificate.
Make money order, cashiers check, certified check payable to Alabama Marine Police.
You may contact Katrina Fortson with the Alabama Marine Police at katrina.fortson@dcnr.alabama.gov, (334) 353-7545 or 1-800-272-7930 or Lisa Miles at lisa.miles@dcnr.alabama.gov (334) 242-3683 or 1-800-272-7930 with questions on certificates or to verify information on certification database.
Exemptions From Examination Requirements:
1. Holder of a valid United States Coast Guard Motorboat Operator's License.
http://www.uscg.mil/2. Person submitting a valid certificate of successful completion of:
A) United States Power Squadron Boating Course Power Squadron
B) United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Course
http://www.cgaux.org/
C) Any state of Alabama Marine Police Division approved boating course:
1) Boat Alabama classroom course http://www.boat-ed.com/alabama
2) state approved on-line boating course.
BoaterExam.comD) Any boat operator who was born prior to April 28, 1954.

NOTE: Boating course certificates or motor boat operator’s license must be presented to the license examiner at the time of making application.

Click here for information on personal watercraft.

Additional information can be obtained by e-mailing erica.shipman@dcnr.alabama.gov or contacting the Alabama Marine Police Division, Operator Certification Section, 64 North Union Street, Montgomery, AL 36130 (334) 242-3673. Course information can be obtained by calling 1-800-272-7930.

Last edited:
Suffolk County NY passes a similar law before NYS. It was more restrictive than NYS. They required ALL residents, young and old to take it. I have taken Power Squadron, NYS boating course and got my USCG master license, all were great courses. But none teach boat handeling. I was brought up on the water and watch with amazement people operating boats.
Take a course if available, you will learn something new. I just don't like KNEE JERK politicians making more POOR laws. The life you save may be your own, wear a life preserver.

We've had the requirement here in AL since at least 2000, maybe earlier.
Once you can take the course you get "V" designation on your driver's license. At the same time, they restricted youth operators too,

I personally welcomed it, to many yahoo's out there that don't know shit about the rules of the road putting others at risk.
So does taking a class remove all the "yahoo's"? I know that taking a driving class certainly doesn't remove all the lousy crappy drivers out there. I doubt a boating class will do the same. If these licenses weren't a money grab only, why do we need to renew them every 3-4 years. I don't have to take another classs or drive with someone to prove my competence. All I have to do is show up, have my picture taken and pay my fee. How is this not just a money grab? same thing with license plates. Why do I need to pay every year (based on the value of the vehicle by the way) if it isn't a monye grab and a "progressive' one at that? Mark W Mark W

You can't teach common sense. Distracted drivers, Drunk Impaired Drivers, NASCAR wannbe Drivers so and so forth. How does their having a license protect others? Because they passed a test?
Boating, Motorcycles, Snowmachines, Semi Trucks, etc. licensed drivers die and kill others all the time. I'm all for Education, but this is a state that wanted to License Bicycles a few years ago. Lets not stop there - ya ever ride a horse, skateboard, ice skates..... ya walk, jog? How can we make $$$$$$$$$$$ off Certain citizens?

Farming is extremely dangerous, and we just had a local man killed in a tractor accident. I do believe the amount the state wants to grant for farm tractor safety is $150,000. These are the folks that feed our country. We can do better than just passing laws one after another.

I am all for boaters education classes and I would take it a step farther by requiring a water road tests. Nothing takes the place of hands on experience and training. I have been working in the marine industry for years and have had to deliver small boats and multi million dollar yachts to some people that have no business being at the helm. Some have taken their safety classes other have not. Nothing and I mean nothing takes the place of hands on experience.
That said, I don't think it should turn into a money grab but I am all for a boaters license with a small fee. You need to have a license to drive a car, truck, motorcycle or anything else on public roads so what makes public waterways any different?
In our household it is a rite of passage, 10 years old you take a boaters safety class, 12 years old you take your hunters safety class and if physically big enough you also take your scuba diving certification classes, 16 learners permit for driving a car. I don't think a little education has ever hurt anyone.

Nope, you cant fix stupid, but at least they will have a class on basics watercraft safety.

We don't have to renew our vessel license, once its on your driver license, it automatically renews with that.

All~

I will find out next Monday-Tuesday if there's a "practical" (hands-on) component. The training location is right on the Hudson, so it's possible. Were I designing the course, the on-the-water segment would begin with rowing. One of the funniest (and fun) days I have spent was teaching bunches of DU Greenwings to paddle a canoe - about 50 feet out and back around a Clorox-bottle float.

On the other hand, when I took my Handgun Training several years ago, I was astonished to learn that we students were legally barred from actually using pistols or revolvers - even though we were training at the Sheriff's HQ - BECAUSE we were not yet licensed. I think that's called a Catch .22......

This thread has also reminded me how lucky many of us are to have first taken a helm under the tutelage of a caring (and, in my case, VERY skilled) parent.

All the best,

SJS

Working for the fisheries dept i spend alot of time on a boat i also spend a good deal of time at ramps. The things you see insane.

If i have time off during opening weekend ill go to a busy launch with a few adult beverages and watch the shenanigans. Watching people backing brand new boats into fences, rocks, cars, and then yelling at their wife is how new boaters seem to operate. Then you have the guy that takes an hour to launch and then the motor wont start.

This is why i do my boating in the winter

People for the most part are clueless and dangerous. I saw a boat run over a small child in a kayak a few years ago.

How will taking a class be worse for NY. I still remember RRR and it has served me well over the years. As a kid I remember somebody from the coast guard coming to our marina and giving a course but there was no certificate. I learned the difference between a rope and a line. Basic compass skill. How to throw a live ring, what side to approach to rescue Right of way and get out of the way. Shipping lanes and tugs towing tanker. NY is a busy harbor. Why buoys are numbered ect.

I took the Coast Guard course as a teenager - of course those new fangled stern paddle wheeled steamers were just coming out then lol

I grew up around the Finger Lakes but generally spent my time in canoes or under sail- that is a good way to see how bad some power boaters can be.

but- thinking NY will control the problem with classes, licenses and fees- come on now- really - do you drive in this state??

idiots will be idiots in a boat, in a car or just about anyplace.

Back