Newbie to MA hunting

JimG

not me, but my nephew. I told the kid (I'm 20 years older than him, so 28 is a kid to me) to get his hunter safety course AND buy his left-handed guns BEFORE becoming a MA resident, but he was too busy finishing his MBA & getting married. Now we are getting into the season and he has no license and no guns (didn't have any interest until recently). He is living in Arlington (who's he got to pay off to let him own guns there). Is there any hope for him to find and get into a hunter safety class at this point? What's he got to do to buy guns/ammo? You guys have some silly gun-buyer's card or something that you have to get first, correct?

Thanks for the help

Jim

He needs an gun owners ID card (can't recall formal name) issued by his local police department. Needs to be renewed every 5 years (I think). Not cheap - when I lived in MA cost $100 (I think).

To get the ID card needs to show proof that he has been thru a hunter safety course.

Can't buy guns or ammo in MA without the card.

Here is a list of MA sportsmens clubs:http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_clubs/massachusetts.asp

Maybe he'll get lucky and find a 2 day all day course.

I wouldn't count on it this year. The class is 8 or 12 hours, can't remember now as I took it 15 years ago. Once you have the hunter safety card, you can get your FID. The hunter safety card will allow the holder to purchase a hunting license.

If he took the course now and got all of his ducks in a row, he might be able to squeeze in some late season duck or deer. Tell him to go to 4 Seasons in Woburn. They have everything one would need and can do the MA licensing/registration on the spot. All firearms in MA need to be registered.

Best,
Nate

All firearms in MA need to be registered

MA sucks....I was looking at another website, and a good number of handguns MANUFACTURED in MA, cannot be sold there....

Based on this website--

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

not looking good.

Don't know about Mass, but Maine will accept a hunter safety certificate from another state. It might be worth checking if they are available in CT or NH.

Here are a couple of courses coming up in southern Maine that could get him a certificate by end of October:

Sanford - Elks Club
This is a homestudy course. Homestudy requires attendance at all sessions as well as study at home. No Pre-Registration Required October 5, 2011
6 - 9 p.m.
and
October 15, 2011
8 - 4 p.m.
Alfred- Town Hall
This is a homestudy course. Homestudy requires attendance at all sessions as well as study at home. Chris Chadbourne
(207) 459-8291 October 6, 2011
6 - 9 p.m.
and
October 22, 2011
8 - 5 p.m. Biddeford - New Life Church, Rt. 111 Bob Walsh
(207) 752-1509 October 25 & 27, 2011
6 - 9 p.m.
and
October 29, 2011
8 - 4 p.m.

FID cards in MA are good for a 6 year period. I just looked at mine to make sure it had not expired!

Jim O

Back