Open Water Jon Boat

Capt. Frank Miller

If you were going to use a jon boat as a floating blind on open water such as Pamlico or the Chesapeake Bay, what size, and specs and features should it have?

hi frank, i wouldnt reccomend a jon boat on those waters as youll get pounded on all but the calmest days. but, i have two friends that both own sea arks. one 20 footer, the other is a 24 footer. 90hp and 115 hp respectively and both have 8' beams. nice tough welded boat and good skin thickness for a jon boat. take a look at them. best, mark

I use a G3 jon model#2072 for sea duck hunts on LIS.
Is it the best option for open water...well no it's not but it gets the job. The reason why I picked this particular boat is that I needed a shallow water craft along with an occassional hunt on the open ocean.
Wide beam and high sides of 30" or better keep the water and spray out.
When snotty out I drop the speed down to a reasonable level, I'm not in a hurry anyways traveling in the dark and all.

If your looking for a dedicated open water boat a deep-V would be best.
01-12-08group3.jpg

12-14-05decoysonwater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We use 2072 Tracker and 2070 Express Mod V Jon Boats on Lake Saint Clair, Up to 3 footers. Both layout Tender and as a blind Boat. Works great. High sides (24" to 25" gunnels and 20" transom) We use tillers and love them

Here is what happens to 20ft jon boats on the open waters of the Pamlico when the wind changes, which it does all the time, powerfully and unexpectedly. Admittedly, these guys were a long way (6 miles out in the middle of the sound) from where that boat was meant to go. I wouldn't have been where they were in in July in anything less than a 25' boat, much less in January. They'll tell you they had done it many a time, but the fact is that when it comes to safety, you buy the boat for the one time its dangerous, not all the others. They were really lucky and should be glad that the Coast Guard requires level flotation.

Frank
I hunt the Delaware Bay which can get real rough. I have a 20 Xpress Mod V with 115 Yamaha. It is very rugged but on those really rough days you can get pounded. I have had several boats, 16 V bottom and 23 parker. Both worked great. I still think a V bottom boat works best for rough water, then again if it is real rough most people aren't hunting.

Back