Ordering Steelshot Reloading Components

Frank Kapp II

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for a long time, but I am already thinking about duck season. I live in east central Florida and have always had trouble finding reloading components. This year for the first time I found several sites online and have ordered what I need. I have bought fishing equipment and outboard engine parts before without a problem. Now I am wondering if I should have driven to Orlando (about 75 miles) or was it okay to order and pay "HAZMAT" charges of about $45.00? I ordered from several different distributors, but I could have got what I need with only one "HAZMAT". My wife is concerned about identity theft? I am in my mid seventies and don't like the drive so the cost is fine, just the ID theft part is a worry. Do any of you order regularly without problems?

Thanks and best regards,
Frank

yeah, i bought 5lbs of tungsten, 3inch shells, and wads from ballistic products online without a problem. I don't remember a HAZMAT charge though. I didn't buy any powder though, that could have been why. Ballistic products is pretty good. I also bought a new scale this year from Midway USA. I got there master catalog which is absolutely loaded with anything and everything in it.

We've ordered hundreds of dollars worth of stuff over the web and use Ebay as well. Have not had an ID theft problem yet. Not saying it cant happen, but have not had a problem.
May want to try calling or faxing your order in. Just add items to your online cart & then print a copy of your cart, then call the order in by phone.

Frank,
I feel your pain. If you like to reload the best option is getting to be mail order only. It is the rare store that can afford to keep steel and other non toxic reloading components on the shelf. I like to reload and keep at it, but there has been a price war on steel shot and factory stuff is very well priced esp for case price.
I like Precision Reloading and Ballistic Products but dont forget Bucks Run for RSI wads. They are the best I have shot when it comes to pattern. I have had the best luck with Steel powder from Alliant but you must not rely on a meeter for the charge as it is very sensitive.
I got into it to feed my 10 ga and found a 12 ga load that works very well along the way, and have used it a lot. Unlimited speed is not necessary but good even pattern dist is. I use a chrony for measuring and 4 foot paper to pattern. I have had very good luck following the pellet recomendations of Tom Roster and his CONSEP program. His numbers = dead ducks and geese if you point them the right direction.... no doubt about it.
If your wife is really worried about ID theft tell her that the other million americans on line are providing you with security cover form the thieves.

Frank:

You are more likely to suffer from ID theft through people you know or from people that go through the garbage looking for paper credit card bills etc...When ordering online, don't be afraid to give credit card info on sites that you seek out for an order, but NEVER give any information to emails or web sites that solicit information from you. By the way, you're covered by the credit card should someone use it fraudulently. Just keep an eye on your bills and make sure everything is legit. The internet is a wonderful thing - just use common sense and stick to web sites that you are familiar with.

Kevin

I'm not crazy about putting my credit or debit card numbers on the internet either. I have found some companies that will let me call in orders and that makes me feel a little more secure. If they don't have that option, I don't buy from them. I do not reload steel shot as it is cheaper and a ton easier for me to buy factory rolled stuff and it also won't void my gun's warranties if a barrell were to split etc.

A lot of guys get a lot of pleasure out of making a shot with a shell they loaded and i used to feel that way back in the days when we could shoot lead at waterfowl. Back then there was a big savings over quality factory ammo. I have come to enjoy using federal and kent steel loads and have been fortunate to have built up a good supply of them. I probably will not shoot up what I have stockpiled over the next several seasons, unless the shooting really improves.

Sorry about that Hazmat crap and I really don't understand the need for that other than keeping some archane beauracracy funded.

I feel your pain,
Harry

Frank, For what it is worth, I just was at Ballistic Products this afternoon and they have closed their storefront and are only doing mail or phone orders. I have dealt with them for a very long time and have a great respect for the guys there. This doesn't answer your identity theft question but it is a personal recommendation of a business. BTW they were out of Win 209's, I got the last Herco and I got on a backorder list for the primers. Good Luck.

The Hazmat deal comes from new rules made by OSHA in regards to certain materials. Even the storage of ammuniton in a store is being affected by the new OSHA rules. OSHA has had influx of money from the Obama administration and is now trying to flex there muscles to use up the funds.

Frank,
Maybe I am to trusting but I think in day and age you have nothing to worry about ordering on line. The other option is to call and do a phone order. I am lucky to have the gunstop- www.gunstop.com local. John’s (the owner) prices are the same as on line venders plus he’s a good guy with a wealth of knowledge. I have done on line transaction with Grafts www.grafs.com and Recobs, www.recobstargetshop.com without a hitch.
Tom sorry to hear ballistic products is closing their show room. I hope they will still do will call orders to save on shipping and HAZMAT. The last time I was out there I was put off a bit. They wanted to copy my driver’s license and made me sign a waver they keep on file before they would sell me reloading components. I thought it a bit obtrusive to my privacy- like I am going on a crime spree with 5 lbs of nickel-plated 7 shot and a bag of 1 oz 16 gauge wads. If you’re in a jam for some Winchester 209 primer I would try Gunstop Enterprises 14704 Excelsior Blvd, Minnetonka - (952) 474-4570 if you have not already. I almost ran out to ballistic yesterday to pick up some 16-gauge

Back