outboard motors

Cas Alkanowski

Looking for input about what is the best reliable new out- boards motors in the 20 hp or 25hp 15" shaft for my HY-Tech 14' "hawk"model duck boat similar to the TDB I'm running a 15hp 2002 mercury 2- stroke pull start and wanting to up grade to either 20 or 25 Yamaha 4- stroke with tiller handel and electric start.Since the hawk is a displacement hull I can still get it to plain but would like a little more horse power.I mostly carry 14 t0 20 decoys and 6 canada geese shell box lunch box Myself 180# my yellow lab buster at 96# and the normal anchores etc. The hawk in rated for a 20 H.P. Thanks Cas

Cas ,

Hands down for me is the Honda , i bought a 30 horse 4 stroke in 2005 new with trim/tilt and absolutely love the motor , we motor in cold weather here in RI lowest temp has been about -1 and the motor starts and runs with no issues , my second choice would be the Yamaha , i know a few guys that had the Suzukis and traded them in for the Yamaha good luck with your choice

Dave M

Yamaha 20 HP in 4 stroke is a slug. Much better off with the Yamaha 25 2 or 4 stroke. Can't go wrong with a Honda either.

I'd grab a Yamaha 2 stroke 25 electric start, this is supposed to be the last year they make them. Outstanding motors.

Cas,give Charlie Foulds a call or p.m. he has a 25hp Yamaha for sale,I think it is a 2008 or 07 , sounds like it is brand new,just a heads up, Brian Rippelmeyer

I ran a tohatsu 2 stroke 25 hp on mine and it ran great to be honest with you the hull cannot handle the weight of the 4 stroke putting it on will be a big mistake,I know firsthand because the boat i bought came with the nissan 4 stroke and the guy sold it because he couldnt make it run right,I couldnt believe the difference in the performance of the hull when i replaced the 4 stroke with the 2 stroke the boat sat level in the water and did not porpose anymore,if it was me id grab the yamaha 2 stroke 25 you will not regret it

I would look into an Etec. They have been out there for a while now, and I hear nothing but good things about them. I think all of the motors out there are pretty good, but I would consider the weight. Some 4 strokes are very heavy, some are less so.

I.d like to thank ,Dave m., Brian Joyce, Carl., Brian Rippelmeyer., Mike Samilo.,and Gregg Setter for there help and knowledge in helping me choose the proper motor Looks like hands down for a 25 yammy 2- stoke ,but will compare prices also with a Honda. thanks alot guys Cas in Delaware

I would agree with Yamaha 2 stroke. It is definite that this was the last year they are being made. It is lighter and they perform flawless. I had 2 4 strokes and a local boat dealer that specializes in duck boats talked me into it. I can't be happier. You can have tilt and trim on the handle right at your thumb. I hunted NY yesterday and it was -20 and it started first turn and you don't have to wait :20 minutes for it to get warmed up.

Keep in mind that the Honda is a four stroke and weight will be an issue. That boat is very narrow at the transom and any extra weight will not be good.

I have to agree with the 25 2 stroke yamaha. Just upgraded my sneakbox from a 15 2 stroke johnson what a big difference in the power from out of the hole to running at low and midrange. The differnce between the two is only 28lbs. and I now even have electric start.

Shawn ; Thanks for the input.One ? tho when the yammy is in idle for a while ,like when you set out your decoys ,then power up to move does it load -up and conk ? out this is critical ? for me because my 2-stroke 15 mercury does this very often.Thanks Cas

Mine is still in the break in part i am running 50:1 the yam is supose to run at 100:1 it is going in next week for the lower oil change plugs checked and check all of her settings wednsday and saturday those really cold days she acted up and shut off before i let it really warm up. Thinking it was due to the rich mixture other than that what a motor.

I have NEVER had a issue with my 25 yamaha dieing after being on idol for extended periods... My was made in 5/07... I bought it new in 9/08.

Where can I see a picture of this boat? I can't find them on the net...

Last edited:
Phil; there is none the co went out of business .name High Tech Sporting boats- HT 14 Hawk selling price $6295.oo lenght 14' beam 5'3" inside depth:24'wt355lbs cockpit op. 3'x7' draft empty 3'max cap.935 max HP 20 hoarse power all fiberglass consruction running lites and fiberglass cover will accomodate a 2 stroke or new 4 stroke you can try calling Mark Johnson at 1-888-819-8851after 4;30 pm I bought in nov 20 2008 from less brack go back to that date under classified this site .I found old photo print out but do not know how to post sorry

Does it look like this?

5.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

D30_7845.jpg

D30_7853.jpg

I ran a 25 two stroke yammie on my southbay when I had it, great motor. I am a firm believer in yamaha outboards. I have a 25 four stroke on my tin boat for fishing (the four stroke WAY too heavy for a duck boat), a 15 two stroke on my sneakbox, and a 150 ox66 on my center console. I have never had an issue with any of them. Just make sure to run the ethanol treatments like startron if you have ethanol fuels in your area.

Back