Painting a portable gas tank

Earl Todd

Here's where I'm at. Scrubbed the tank with soap and water and a good stiff brush. Then scrubbed with a mixture of 60/40 vinegar to water. After drying, sprayed entire tank with spray on bedliner. Then camo painted to look broken up. First day today, one little rub with a decoy bag and tank red is showing from the scuffed spots. Wiped the entire coating off.

For those of you who have painted your tanks, What did you do and how does it last?

Is there any laws in your area that states that tank has to be red for fuel? It may be better to have a cover to put over it when you need to camo it from view.

Parker duck boat spray paint. My only prep was sanding. These are the 6 gallon boat tanks. At times I have brought an addition 5 gallon tank and just covered with some camo material.

I painted those tanks years ago. Some of the paint did rub off right away, but not enough to matter. As time passes, the paint gets tougher. Cops have not bothered me but I don't live up north.

Ed.

I think in Michigan you would be in a gray area by painting your tank. You wouldn't be able to dispense fuel from a pump to it. I just use a camo motor cover with holes cut for the fuel line and gas cap. As far as painting plastic, I've had good luck with the Krylon cans that are made for plastic. So far it has held up pretty good.

Just cover it with burlap. If the ducks are close enough to see the red gas tank in your boat, you need to be shooting!!!

The mould release agents are typically hard to get off with anything other than acetone. I wiped mine down with thinner, and then acetone prior to using fusion spray paint for a base coat then flat camo spray paint over that. It scratches off easily enough with rough use.

If doing it again I would use rustoleum auto body primer that adhears to plastic body panels. Its flat grey. Still do the solvent scrub and let air dry for a day.

Back