Permanent Blind plans

cjduncan

Looked all over the internet for a 4 person duck blind plan. I most need dimensions. This blind will be on a tidal salt marsh that floods one to two feet at extreme high tides and high winds. Was thinking of making the blind on dock floats with it anchored with chains for when marsh gets flooded. Can?t drive piles!!!

What I mostly need is dimensions for stand up height and hip width. No power out there so will build at home and put together on salt marsh.

Any help would be appreciated

Simple A frame built from cattle panels available at Tractor Supply. Spread panels to 5' at bottom. Allow 30" gap at top. Angle of panels will allow proper grassing/ bushing to cover shoot hole somewhat. Use a bushing/grassing that's easy to come up and swing thru.

Which ever design you choose to use if your hunting 4 people go 12' long. Nothing worse then being jammed elbow to elbow trying to swing on a bird.

CJ~

Floating blinds have long been used around Long Island. They are big, rugged affairs that can shoot 4 gunners and require big anchors. Off-season storage is a consideration. They are still common on eastern LI.

View attachment Ted Sadleir Floating Blind A.jpg

Here is another all thatched up.

View attachment Sadleir floating blind.jpg

Here's one from Zack Taylor's SUCCESSFUL WATERFOWLING - made for Jersey conditions.

View attachment ZT - Floating Blind 001.jpg

In any event, I agree with lots of hip room: minimum of 30" per gunner - but 36" is better. Also, "sill height" up front should be 34-36" above the floor. This allows for shooting either sitting or standing (much preferred).

All the best,

SJS

Thanks all for the reply?s. I am going to make the blind and anchor it to the marsh with an earth anchor and dock chain. Leave plenty of chain to let it float when the marsh gets flooded. Leave it out there year round.

Instead of anchors you can use pipes that slip though collars. one on each corner. This will keep the blind in the same position and move up and down with the water. Very simple, very effective, proven.

Good morning, Eric~

Your pipe arrangement would work in a protected area. Boat slips use such arrangements within marinas. However, out where flood tides, wind and ice come into play, big anchors - usually bridled to structural elements of the blind with heavy chain - are needed. The blinds need to swing on an anchor with plenty of scope as the winds swing through the compass.

View attachment Floating Blind Anchor 1.jpg

As you might expect, owners of such blinds need to keep an eye on - and sometimes rescue - them as conditions change.

All the best,

SJS

Unless your piece of marsh is very protected from wind leaving a floater out all year is a recipe for headaches. Floaters act like a big sail on an open bay/marsh. Ice especially and strong tidal flow will take it for a ride if exposed to it. Several years ago we built a floater on a donated pontoon boat. Anchored in about 3' water with 200' anchor line. Anchor big enough to hold way bigger boat. On stern we used spud poles to stick down day of hunt to allow for wind swings. Held great during a few winter storms put once we got frozen over with about 4" ice break up moved that rig about 2 miles dragging anchor and resistance from anchor actually allowed a pontoon to be ruptured by ice. Thick ice and wind on an open bay play havoc with even your best schemes. Was a ball to gun from though!

I assume you own or have a lease for the adjacent uplands? Will you have to get a permit from the state or Corps?

Like others noted, being in Mass, shifting ice will wreak havoc on the blind and anchors.
Do others landowners/leasee's do the same thing in that area??

Steve

I wasn't thinking about heavy tides and ice, although I should have given the original description. The pipe method works very well but I don't know what would happen under the conditions you stated. Around here wind hasn't been an issue, but ice and current could prove too much.

Eric

It?s not uncommon for folks to chase/rescue/lose floaters down here on the big reservoirs either. We get some serious current and drifting debris after storms that has a knack for collecting in blinds, spud poles, and anchor lines. Eventually something has to give.

Back