Picked up a band tonight.

Yukon Mike

I snuck out to Lake Leberge after supper with Mac and Meg and we kayaked to the narrows for about an hour of shooting. Mac sluiced a bluebill on the water and I managed to hit two mallards in the air and that was it. One was sporting some jewellery though, and Meg thought that was really cool. It is great having her come along, and Mac goes out of his way to make sure she's comfortable and enjoying herself.

Mike

View attachment DSCF2339.jpg

View attachment DSCF2340.jpg

View attachment DSCF2354.jpg

View attachment DSCF2339.jpg
View attachment DSCF2340.jpg
View attachment DSCF2354.jpg

Mike, I really enjoy reading your posts and like alot of guys on this site, I wish I could "live that life" in near wilderness, enjoying the freedoms and beauty that your pics clearly depict. But something you mentioned about Mac going out of his way to make sure Meg was comfortable really struck me. That is such a great testimony to the way you are raising your family. I know you are already proud of Mac but I have to say, and I probibly speak for alot of guys on this site, that I'm impressed with the example you are as a father and you should be proud of yourself. I wish you continued success in all you do but especially in the obvious priorities you place on family. God bless, Jim B

Excellent, those kids you got are going to grow and make you very proud, with everything you teach and do with them. Keep the pics and stories comin.

mike, quick question for ya,

exactly how do you determine shooting times that state 30 min before sunrise / 30 min before sunset if THE SUN NEVER GOES DOWN !!!!?????!

Also , Has Mac got any idea how luckey he is ?

Way to go Mike, love to get those bands. Let us know the history of the bird when you find out. Thanks for all the pictures.

Bob Houk

Mike, I really enjoy reading your posts and like alot of guys on this site, I wish I could "live that life" in near wilderness, enjoying the freedoms and beauty that your pics clearly depict. But something you mentioned about Mac going out of his way to make sure Meg was comfortable really struck me. That is such a great testimony to the way you are raising your family. I know you are already proud of Mac but I have to say, and I probibly speak for alot of guys on this site, that I'm impressed with the example you are as a father and you should be proud of yourself. I wish you continued success in all you do but especially in the obvious priorities you place on family. God bless, Jim B

Thanks Jim, that is a heck of a compliment. I do the best I can with a precious gift.

Mike

Last edited:
Excellent, those kids you got are going to grow and make you very proud, with everything you teach and do with them. Keep the pics and stories comin.

You got it Richie. Its nice for me to have a place to share my pictures.

Mike

mike, quick question for ya,

exactly how do you determine shooting times that state 30 min before sunrise / 30 min before sunset if THE SUN NEVER GOES DOWN !!!!?????!

Also , Has Mac got any idea how luckey he is ?

I tell him all the time he's living my dream. His dream is to shoot a deer and be able to drive a truck right to it to load it up!

Sunset was 8:38 last evening. The midnight sun thing is only in June and early July. PLUS we get to shoot one hour before and after - how's that for awesome on early flying birds!?

Mike

Is that Plastic I see in them pictures? Were all your wonderful carved birds?

Mike

Ya... about that... well actually those are MAC'S decoys. Mine is the wooden diver and sea duck rig. Truth is, I can't carry 3 doz wooden birds through knee deep water very far anymore. : )

Mike

Way to go Mike, love to get those bands. Let us know the history of the bird when you find out. Thanks for all the pictures.

Bob Houk

Will do Bob, I phoned it in tonight so I might know in a few weeks she said. It was a mature bird with yellow fat and the band wasn't shiny new so it will be interesting to see what the story is. I have shot birds in that place that were banded only two days before I shot them, 1/2 mile from the banding site. Not a lot of good data on those guys! One time I got two bands in two days there that were only 3 or 4 numbers apart .

Mike

Back