Pintail question

Mark Spolarich

After spending some time doing fruitless searches on the internet I have to admit defeat.

What color is the bottom of a drake pintail's bill?

You would think that someone, somewhere would have accidently snapped a picture that included the underside of a bill.

...one day I might even shoot one and be able to see it firsthand!

Mark~

Bruce Burk has 2 reference books - one for Puddlers, one for Divers - that show every feather and the underside of the bill - not only the color but the shape and structure. That said, I just now got comfortable in the easy chair and the books are outside in the shop....

I'll snap a photo later today.

SJS

Mark~

Bruce Burk has 2 reference books - one for Puddlers, one for Divers - that show every feather and the underside of the bill - not only the color but the shape and structure. That said, I just now got comfortable in the easy chair and the books are outside in the shop....

I'll snap a photo later today.

SJS

Steve,
Burke is a good reference but can't be used as the only reference. I've found many errors in his work. In the Bluebill drake, he has the speculum the wrong color. In the Goldeneye hen, he has the eye color wrong (he's actually showing a juvenile drake as a hen-yellow eye)-hen is white to a light cream). That's just a couple of them.
Hard to find info on the underside of a bill. I've done the Pintail underside in black but have never really compared it to a recently shot bird. Guess I'll have too look for comparison. Can't look at a taxidermy mount as you only get what the taxidermist "thinks". ;)
Lou

Lou~

Funny you should mention the mistakes. I know I've found a few in Burk myself - but, of course, I cannot remember what they were....

All the best,

SJS

Lou~

Funny you should mention the mistakes. I know I've found a few in Burk myself - but, of course, I cannot remember what they were....

All the best,

SJS

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I hate it when our memory SHOWS our age. ;) It always gets to me when I say..."..oh, I remember when I was that age"....doh.
Lou

just pulled my pintail out of the freezer and it is black. the soft inner part(not sure of the word) of the bill is slightly slate black in color

here's a pic

pintailbill_zps3b2b0996.jpg

Thanks guys!....the best picture i could find showed what appeared to be either a small blue area or snow on the bottom.

It has been a question bugging me for some time, not that it matters for the decoys i am wanting to paint. I just wanted to know....

If you don't already own one, get a copy of The LeMaster Method of Waterfowl Identification, by stackpole books. It is a great workbench reference on bill length, bill width, bill color, and nostril placement. It is also a handy reference for hunters who cannot identify all the common ducks (yeah there are way too many of those). Since it depends upon bill shape and size, it works even on eclipse plumage ducks and oft confused birds like hen ring necks versus hen redheads. Will not work on hybrids..............

Unfortunately, it only shows top views of bill, so it would not help with your question, or future "what does the underside of the bill look like and what is it's color(s)". For that you have to rely on study skins, digital images of freshly killed birds, and your network of carving friends.

The more you get into carving, the more it makes you carry a digital (either cheap or waterproof) to the blind and take pics of some odd parts of the duck........................Even if your buddy wants the bird to mount it, you can get shots of every conceivable feature of the bird before he takes it home.

Mark,

On a hunch I went back through some digitals I took of a sprig I killed in 2003. The underside shot focused on the tailgate rather than the bill, but it appears to be solid black...

Give me your email, and I will email the photos I took...you can decide for yourself.

Waterfowl Painting Blue Ribbon Techniques by William Veasey, page 170. Very good book, and worth the money. As Soon as you kill a bird, check the bill colors ASAP as they fade and die very quickly.

As I just make gunners, the underside really doesn't matter, but the info is good to know.

Back