Plans for a home made dog blind

I am planning this weekend to build a mut hut for my best friend.
I was wondering if anybody has made one that is easy to build, and i don't
need to be an engineer to put it up and take it down. My sewing skills are novice at best but I think I can pull it off.

Why not a simple Barney Bay Spray dodger. Bring the prop-up stick and three stakes to stake the canvas down. All folds up and easy-up, easy-down.

Stern

I like yor pics . I am gonna tackle This mini project
sunday. The pvc is a good plan, my shape might be different
but the same basic idea. I think cotton duck for a fabric, and i will sew in stubble straps.
thanks for the reply ,and the pics Capt. pp

I've been toying with the idea of using one of those cement mixing pans you see in Lowe's as a base with some closed cell foam glued in the bottom and a conduit frame with cordura and grass straps for camo. I had a wooden box to give the dog it's place and get them out of the wind and wet when there done with a retrieve. The wooden box was real heavy however so I wanted to use the plastic tray to be lighter and more portable.

Peter,
I have been using the plastic cement pan to get my shorthair out of the water for the waiting period for the same reasons you suggested. Where I setup on the Columbia the water can fluctuate a bit, so at times, the water may exceed the height of the sides of the pan fairly rapidly. I like the idea of making it float and grassed up. I thought about using PVC and floats, but not sure on the stability issue, and then I might end up with something that may be too bulky/heavy to pack in. I would like to see a picture if someone comes up with a solution. I guess I could look into getting a camo drysuit for the shorthair.

You guys are killing me, every time I come out of the think tank you throw some
other idea out there. The tub on the bottom is a killer idea. The cement mixing tub
will now be apart of the blind. Keep up the good ideas guys, thanx for the reply Capt. PP

Whatever the dog returns to should be able to drain water away. If there is no built in drainage, a dog will be laying in water (even on land).

In shallow water, placing a hide on top of a stable stand (adjustable to different depths) can be effective.

"Gunny on dry ground (in hide)"

"Daisy on a Ruff stand (used in water with hide)"

I have a stand and boomer used it last year with a fast grass mat over him. Your right if not drained right he will be lying in a puddle of water. Lets say I was to use the tub how could you rig it to drain, or should I "keep it simple stupid" just use his stand. I guess I could build it so it sits on top, or in the tub and see which one is better. None the less there both good ideas. I would have built it this weekend but the boss had me doing honey doo's

I originally got the idea of working a dog out of a box from the book "Training the hunting retriever by Jerome Robinson". The advantages go beyond just keeping them hidden and comfortable. It also helps with steadying and remote sit and the dogs really seem to like knowing there designated spot. My box was made out of 2X4's and plywood with grassing rails and worked well but was very heavy. This was less of a problem with the motor boat and gunning the saltmarsh but now I need something lightweight and portable. I hunt out of canoes and fields and freshwater marshes more then when I get invited back to the saltmarsh. The cement tub idea is something I read on one of these forums. I looked at the 2 sized mixing tubs they have at Lowes. The larger one had these notches molded into it that would be perfect for the conduit framing of the blind. It could also be used as a sled for hauling in the decoys or gear. The smaller one didn't have the notches but would be easier to transport in a vehicle or boat. The closed cell foam pad (Like a slleeping bag camping pad) glued to the bottom with PL adhevsive is key as it keeps the dog warm between retrieves and adds a slight amount of height to keep the dogs butt out of dripping water. I don't know about using it in deep standing water that the dog would jump into it but up on the marsh or bank after one shake my Chessie doesn't hold much water anyway. Not to change the slant of this thread but I'm not a fan of the neoprene vests because I think they hold water on a dogs coat ,but this way with the pad it keeps them comfortable when they come out of the water and like I said earlier helps with the retrieving.

Back