question about primer bulb on outboard?

This probably is sort of a dumb question but i need a answer,how hard are you supposed to pump the ball up,i can pump mine up so solid that i can get the float to leak a little

It could press past the inlet needle that the float controls and get up into the carb and bowl vents. You don't need to pump it that hard, just firm up the bulb.

you dont have to pump it up so hard that the float leaks! the idea is just to pump all the air out so you get a good siphon effect. just pump it up till its firm, and make sure the vent is open on your fuel tank. if your still havin problems out of it, make sure all your fuel lines are secure and leak free, and also check that your fuel pump isnt leaking cause you may have damaged the gaskets while takin out your aggression on the siphon bulb! best of luck!!

Just pump enough to feel resistance. All you are doing is priming the fuel pump, get the air out of the line and the pump will do the rest. You have to get the liquid to the pump or you will have the eqivalent of a vapor lock. Remember that a gas (not gasoline but like air) will compress and not pump like a liquid. I wish they didn't call that bulb a primer, it just leads to confusion. No need to pop a seal, just pump till you feel resistance. Boy are there ever possibilities for making that an XXX rated bit of advice? HUH

thanks for the advice guys,like i said kind of dumb question but never was explained to so better off knowing then not asking

Back