Quick Snow Hunt

Craig F

Got out of work early on account of the snow and awful road conditions, a usual 25 minute drive turned into an hour very quickly but I said what the heck let's hook the sneakbox up and give it a shot.

Ski goggles were a big help running into the stiff NE wind and snow, but things worked out pretty well in the end. If I can get to a ramp tomorrow it'll probably be my last day of the season, can't complain at all with how it has been finishing up.

IMG_2482-Version2.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

Craig, you've been tearing it up this year. The snow on your sneak boat reminds me of some fine black duck hunts I've had on the shore with snow squalls in my sneak boat. Thanks. Very fine strap of ducks today for a afternoon hunt.
Gene R.

Hope you get out one last time. I was hoping to get out one last time on Sunday in RI but the wind made for a different outcome and I called it a season and put the gear away. Thanks for the pictures and nice bag. Looks like I am not the only one that encountered gadwalls in good numbers this year. They were uncommon in the 90s on salt marshes and now I encounter almost every outting.

Love the boat with the snow.

Great pics and hunt Craig! I also got sent home early and tried a quick walk in hunt since the bay was going to be way too treacherous to try playing with a boat today. We got skunked but it was one of those days where it was either going to be amazing or stink. My son still thought it was amazing.....we will go with that.

Dave

Craig, great hunt!! Some great looking birds and you earned those birds out there in the snow and wind!! Looks like you had a great season! Was nice meeting you at the ramp! Maybe one day next year we could meet up in that spot we met this year for a hunt!

Wesley just shoot me a message next season and we'll hook up for a hunt.

On another note about midway through the season I picked up a kicks high flyer mod choke for my M2. I was never a big believer in extended choke tubes as I take most birds so close over decoys but wow I've been impressed with the performance I've been getting from 10 yards to 40 shooting Hevi Metal #3s. Almost tripled today on gadwall at one point.

I couldn't agree with you more about the ski goggles. I use them when I'm driving my 4 wheeler or Mule in snow. I think that was about 3 years ago.
I sure enjoyed seeing your total success with knowing where to be when shooting those great looking black ducks.
Al

Craig~

Great story and photos - I'm so glad you could get out.

On days like yesterday, I need to learn NOT to look at weather.com for the conditions on LI....I had to content myself with "field reports" my friends there.....

All the best,

SJS

I am jealous. I have very fond memories of NorEast snow storm and coastal NJ. Glad you got out. amazing how much more enjoyable a snow storm is when you can use it to your advantage.

Beautiful scenery and a nice bag of ducks too. One hell of a way to end the season!

Great Pics and Hunt! I have only been lucky enough to hunt in the snow a few times... and around these parts... snow always makes the hunt more enjoyable... Congrats!

Back