Quote of the Day

Al Hansen

Last night Bev and I were watching the Westminster Dog Show. While the Sporting Group was being shown one of the commentators said to the other, "As for the gun dogs, what did they do before guns were invented----just stand around unemployed?" They had some great looking show dogs.
Al

Al, I have a real hard time watching dog beauty contests but that is a good bit of humor. Just out of curiousity what breed won this time?

My wife had it on when I got home.
She had to ask me why the lab was so short and fat.LOL
I just had to laugh and say lack of exercise from hunting LOL

I didn't watch the dog show, but I gotta ask, was this commentater blond? Sorry I couldn't help my self.
Dennis

Now that was a thing of beauty, Dennis! Nope----a brunette.
Al

Tom,
The winner of the show was a Scottish Deerhound. In the sporting dogs the Cocker Spaniel won. Cute dog but I don't know why they classify it as such. I was trying to picture this black spaniel on a duck hunt with me. My but the briars would have played hell with its coat.
Al

My wife had it on when I got home.
She had to ask me why the lab was so short and fat.LOL
I just had to laugh and say lack of exercise from hunting LOL

Doug,
Bev said almost the exact same thing.
Al

When I read that I thought of all the stupid things I hear from commentators on football games.

Sometimes the need to fill dead air overcomes the need to keep your mouth shut.

Al,

A friend of mine had a Cocker Spaniel that was one heck of a pheasant dog. A little ball of, get em up in the air energy and desire. That dog was possessed with hunting. The draw back...no water work and the coat.

Matt

I read in the paper this morning that a lab has never won. Any lab who shows there is on the short and stocky side. I have nothing against short, stocky, large headed labs, what you might call English, but I love the long, tall, lean and athletic ones that have come to be called American labs. It seems like their criteria are maybe too narrow? You'd think the country's most popular breed might win once in awhile.

Mine is tall, long headed, and curly tailed. He'd never make it at Westminster!

View attachment Cruz.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more, Tom.

My neighbor calls Chili, "Old Pointy Nose". Her hair is longer than a normal lab's coat but she never gets cold while retrieving! She would never get through the front door of a dog show but she is my queen/my steadfast partner in the duck blind/and when a duck is down, get the hell out of the way because she has job to do.
Al

Old Pointy Nose

IMG_3644.jpg

And sometime in the 1990s the breed standard was modified. The result of which if you could find a dog that meet the standard completely would be a very nice looking hunting companion. Not too tall and lanky, but not so squat and slow as the bench dogs. My dogs have all been from the British lines, but I was never willing to put the extra bulk on them to be successful in the breed ring. A well muscled, blocky headed, with powerful shoulders is what I like to see. But in the end of the day, does he work to please me, enjoy the work he does, and behave in the house is what I really want. My current/last of my line is now 13 and a house dog.... I have started the search for a new black dog, though with the kids off to college, the wife is fighting me tooth and nail! She would like to have a house with less dog hair and nothing to tie us down.... but I need a retriever!!!

Dave

Al when I heard her say that I just cringed. Then I thought "well the Vizsla is next so maybe they will say that this dog was used by early falconers in Hungary'. Nope, didn't do that. I know it is too much to ask for them to know that even after guns were around pointers where used for netting birds.

My favorite quote was the guy saying "Dog hair is just another condiment around my house."

I was very happy that the Deerhound won, I've always liked them.

Tim

Certain parts of the dog show are definitely a beauty contest.In the breed judging in sporting dogs, the standard by which they are judged, which includes structure (skeleton) coat, disposition, musculature,as well as temperment,all have a great bearing on the dogs being able and fit to do his job.As you can probably tell chesapeakes are my breed. my boy diesel who is my avatar picture,is a dual titled dog. diesel kills them in the show ring,and hunts with me each season.He has the tools to do this for a long time. I have seen many hunt bred dogs that have tons of drive and natural ability for their jobs, but their physical structure belies a dog that is not going to last.You need both to do justice to any breeding program.As well as a dog that can do his job you need a dog that you can live with the rest of the year!This is where temperment comes in.A conciencious breeder will look at both venues for prospects for breeding.both dog shows as well as hunt tests. Some how this doesnt seem to have figured in with labs, even akc admits that labs are a dual breed. the black lab last night was winded just trotting around the show ring.I would hate to send him on a long field retrieve in North Dakota after a crippled canada goose. The poor dog if he made it would probably have a coronary before he got back to the blind!The chessie in the show last night "Grit" who we bred our Kelly girl to last year is a dual titled dog, he not only looks good he can do the job he was bred for.So what I am saying is there is a place for the shows as well as the field if we look to both we will be breeding dogs that wecan be proud of for generations to come. Rich

In the sporting dogs the Cocker Spaniel won. Cute dog but I don't know why they classify it as such. Al

Several folks I know have acquired "sporting cockers" in the last few years. They are said to be great dogs for woodcock and partridge--smaller than a springer, and so better able to bust through some the thicker covers we have up here.

I've only ever been bitten by two dogs--and both of them were cockers, so I'm not a fan yet.

By the way, if you have never watched the movie "Best in Show", you should. It may be the funniest movie I've ever seen.

Al:
I also herd that comment while watching the Dog Show, they were very bored dogs until guns were around. Great group of hunting dogs from what I watched.
D Dominski

Back