Repairing DW-15 questions part 2

Bob Collier

I posted up a couple months ago about repairing a hole in my fiberglass DW-15.
You all gave me some great advice and I am at a point where I would like some more input.

I have a couple of photos of my progress sanding out the damage but can't get them to upload. I hope to get that figured out to see if I have removed enough of the damage to start the repair. It measures about 4.5" x 4"

There are also a few areas that abraded the gel coat down and exposed the
fiberglass although they are very solid with no punctures. Can I epoxy over these areas or do I need to make a fairing paste to fill them in then epoxy over it?
I am ordering my fiberglass supplies from US Composites and getting paint to match my hull color from Lock Stock and Barrel based on advice from my previous post!

Thanks in advance for any advice you care to share.

I added an attachment hopefully the picture is clear not very good at this photo stuff

View attachment IMG_0100.JPG

Last edited:
I would try to taper the surface back more. It looks like you have less then an inch of glass around the hole with the gelcoat off. I would want more bare glass to let you put on several layers with each one a bit larger. It appears there is some foam in there. It would be nice if you could fill the void with foam to provide additional support. The foam in the cans used for insulation won't work.

Tom

Thanks Tom!
As a general rule how much glass do I need to expose real active to the hole.
There is foam but it didnt completely cover the damaged area it is just in the keel and out about 10-12". Do you have any suggestions for replacement?
I greatly appreciate the advice.
Bob

Check out this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgXa73pDzw

There are several other videos showing the same technique on Youtube.

The youtube video gives a good idea of how to taper it out. I usually over build the glass then grind it back to the proper level of the hull. This leaves you with minimal filler. When you put the filler on use a plastic spreader rather then a putty knife. Gives much better control. When you work down the filler use a sanding block with 40 or 60 grit to start then 80 then 120. If you just use a orbital sander it will be too wavy for my liking. The guy in the video just used a air sander. It had to be wavy. But then white hides a lot.

Tom

I have a couple more thoughts. Even though the insulation foam doesn't provide any real structural support putting it in the hole and then sanding it level would give you a solid surface to lay the glass on which would be better then spanning the open hole. Also keep in mind that you may not be able to put all the glass on at once due to being upside down. Something called gravity.

Tom

Question on multi layer glass patches: Biggest patch on the bottom (hull side) and smaller patches as you work away from the hull? Or smallest patch on the hull and larger patches as you work out?

Or maybe it doesn't matter?

I've seen tutorials both ways.

I don't know that it really makes any real difference. I usually start with large and work from there.

Tom

Back