Resident Geese Euthanasia on long Island

Anthony Fata

http://www.longisland.com/news/05-13-13/north-hempstead-approves-plan-to-euthanize-canada-geese.html

How does every one else feel about this new idea they have come up with. I wish they would just open another season and us hunters would be glad to help out. Wish they would go about this in a way that could help more than just the local residents out and open a special season for goose hunters in the local areas. wanted to get some other opinions on this. Thanks

Yep, killing geese helps control the population. At least until others move in. I can see where in some areas it is hard to allow hunting. Where it is workable hunting should be the first option but at least they aren't trying to put them on "The Pill".

Tim

they have painted, stomped and addled eggs here for at least a decade without changes.

Tom
I heard they put vegetables oil on the eggs in Nassau county a couple of years ago.I don't know how well it worked but they did kill 3000 geese here a few years ago also.

they have painted, stomped and addled eggs here for at least a decade without changes.

Maybe there would be more without that. :) Hard to imagine that.

It will probably only be a temporary solution. It's sort of like killing the bats you see fly around your house and not plugging the holes in the roof. Unless parks are changed and feeding bans are strictly enforced new geese are just going to move back in the next spring. There is no shortage of park geese.

Tim

Another article said the resident geese are in major numbers due to Sandy. there calling this there quick fix and said that once the get rid of this surge of geese next year will still be less numbers and would stay that way. i would think that a storm surge of that nature would have pushed all the geese away instead of staying though.

Very interesting article and plan of action to the concept. I believe this in most cities in American has become a common epidemicl in "CITY FOLK" ideal thoughts. When living in Fort Wayne, In the local college IPFW (Indiana Purdue of Fort Wayne) had a resident summer and wintering poplulation of 100+ greater dark geese. Why not, they had and adequate supply of manicured grass throughout the year and the St. Mary River which flowed freely even during the coldest of winters below the dam. A positive for waterfowl and other wildlife but becomes a negative for locals.

Where I grew-up in Paducah we had Noble Park. A community park with about a 3 acre lake. For years locals have taken their kids there, giving crackers and bread to the local resident domesticated ducks and geese. A problem occured in the 90s with a bad winter. Local migrating populations of geese flocked to the pond because the great ice opening fountain, opened up a sizable watering hole. The problem is they their habits changed, I call it the "SNOW BUNNY" syndrome. They just never left. But you would ask why not, well they are waterfowl on welfare. If you had every thing you needed why pick-up and leave.

There is starting to be large amounts of complaints around Houston where I live now in the various Housing complexes that are new and going-up. They create large ponds in these complexes of an acre to 4 acres, stock the ponds with fish, and place local domesticated ducks in some of the ponds. A friend of mine lives in a community where a local population of Mexican Whistling Ducks have learned a behavior of any object shorter than 4 ft means food. Some times during the year it can look like a migration came through with not a couple of flocks but literally hundreds of birds on each of the ponds. The funny thing is the complaining population are there with their kids throwing bread and crackers.

It's funny how are society pushes natural and green initiatives but in the face of using a natural methods to control it becomes the greater of two evils. It comical how nature works on the premise of "Build it and we will come" an humanity believes this is intrusive. It just proves one aspect of nature holds true, a primary goal of survival. It is not the smartest or necessarily the strongest that survives but the ability to change. An actually I am happy to see this occurring.

Regards,
Kristan

Why would you pay to get rid of them when someone would pay to do it for you. John

IDK if you have ever been to Nassau County John but there is NO other way to get rid of them.Kill them all.They are a pain in the ass.The schools,golf course and parks have a nice coating of goose crap on them most of the year.The ONLY way hunters get to shoot our resident goose population is when we get lots of snow on the ground and ice on the ponds.Then they have to go to the salt marshes.Otherwise were are not even making a dent in the resident population.
As for the article blaming it on Sandy...BS most if not all our resident gesse NEVER leave the Island.Sandy is the reason the counts of Brant on their wintering grounds in NJ are down.A large percentage never made it down to them.AND BTW the nice geese showed the Brant in the last few years what they were missing all these years ....lush green grass of inland Nassau County.Thanks Gesse LOL

I can never understand fish and game here in NJ

they want all the resident geese killed, yet in the later season
when most are hunting them, they limit us to the hours we can hunt and the amount of geese we can kill . early season there are no limits, but also very few places to hunt because the field are still planted.

long island seems like the same deal

when most are hunting them, they limit us to the hours we can hunt and the amount of geese we can kill . early season there are no limits, but also very few places to hunt because the field are still planted.

That is likely because you winter a northern breeding population that they are managing for. The way it works here and I bet in NJ too is that Band returns are used to monitor the take of sub-species that can no tolerate increased harvest and the bag limits are set so as not to overharvest those particular sub-species.

That is likely because you winter a northern breeding population that they are managing for. The way it works here and I bet in NJ too is that Band returns are used to monitor the take of sub-species that can no tolerate increased harvest and the bag limits are set so as not to overharvest those particular sub-species.

That is the problem with "managing" resident goose populations & seasons: you have to time the hunting & culling right so you whack the residents but don't cull or overharvest the migrants. Plus try to figure out how to harvest geese living in urban areas. No one simple solution, takes a multi-pronged approach.

That is the problem with "managing" resident goose populations & seasons: you have to time the hunting & culling right so you whack the residents but don't cull or overharvest the migrants. Plus try to figure out how to harvest geese living in urban areas. No one simple solution, takes a multi-pronged approach.

We need to get the word out to Jeff Foiles that a lot of our urban birds are banded - give him a trailer full of white bread and a bucket of air rifle pellets and let him have at it.

T

They are thick around DC also. I have this dream of stalking them with my bow. It would be a blast if I could pull it off without being arrested, but being that they live on golf courses and public lakes, I can't think I can. One of those turkey guillotine broadheads would be too much fun.

Nate

Back