Rikon bandsaw

Ramsey Schrader

Anyone tried these yet? I looked at them yesterday and they are very reasonable in price. I have been using a cheap Reliant for better than 12 yrs. It is still running but I need something a little bigger. The Deltas are insane expensive. I know they are nice, but the reality is that as long as the blade stays close to square, and with carving away the majority of the wood off a block, carving doesn't require a laser precise bandsaw cut.

Thoughts?

I've been using one since 2007, no complaints. For $800 the 14" saw has a huge throat and cutting height without any ad-ons. I did hear that they got bad reviews from somewhere, but it is the only bandsaw I have ever owned so I really can't compare it to any others. My father and I both use mine alot, his for small furniture and myself obviously for decoys, and its yet to give me a problem.

I've never used one, so I can't speak on the Rikon. I will say if you're patient and watch Craigslist for a while a quality one will eventually show up. I found a 14" Jet for $250 on there, and it had barely been used.

Have the 18 inch and love it. Although not a decoy maker, I have used it to resaw and it works great...very well designed, no problems at all.

Hitch

I have a 14 deluxe and like it better than my delta 12. I have since bought a lathe planer/joiner and a drill press and have had no problems or complaints.

Hope this helps Ramsey

Never used a Rikon personally but have talked to a couple guys that own them and they said nothing but good things about them.

Another option if you decide not to go with the Rikon, Porter Cable has a new saw on the market for $400, available at lowes that looks like a really good saw. From what I could see a jet riser kit would work just fine on it.

I have the 18 and love it. Its got a strong motor, blade changes are easy and the dust system works well (when i use it). I would recommend the 14 or the 18 models.

Thanks guys. I think anything is a step up from what I'm using. I really don't have to replace the one but I need more capacity.

Back