Sneak Boat Help (circa early 50's)

Dan DiLoreto

We have a sneak boat built in the Detroit great lakes area by a local builder (unknown). Can any of the visitors to this forum shead any light on who may have built it? If they have seen one like it before? Maybe the value of it today? It is a wood boat with the hull covered with Fiber Glass. About 18 feet long. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks. Go To for pictures: http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/dandil726/Duck%20Boat/

Post some pics if you would please as there were several manufacturers around here from Miles Smith to Pecor Fox. I do NOT go to photobucket so would need pics posted to view.
Lou

Nice looking boat.

duck2.jpg

duck3.jpg

duck4.jpg

duck5.jpg

duck6.jpg

duck1.jpg

Last edited:
This is my brother-in-law's father's boat. Bought and used in the 50's...he thinks it was built by a local guy or small company by the name of "Sorg". Does that ring a bell with anyone?

This is my brother-in-law's father's boat. Bought and used in the 50's...he thinks it was built by a local guy or small company by the name of "Sorg". Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Dan,
Sorg doesn't ring a bell at all, though it does have the lines of a Pecor. Many of the duck boat builders around here also worked for Chris Craft. Chris Craft used to be about 30 minutes from me, until they moved to Florida in the '70's. The Chris Craft boys (Chris Smith and brother) began their company by building duck boats and carving decoys. Interesting history.
Lou

Here are the schematics for a Chris Craft duckboat kit. This boat looks handmade and has different construction.
scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

Your Boat was made by Sorg of Detroit, He made many boats for years, he made a lot of 16 ft outboard boats they were a lapstrike hull.
he was a big boat builder. I also have a Sorg Sneak boat. It is a very good boat

Jim Marsh

Back