Sneakbox Dodge & Cover Fabric

James R

What is the best fabric to use for a dodge and cockpit cover on a sneakbox. Also who is a good supplier to order some fabric. I am in the process of rebuilding a sneakbox and am just about finished the glassing and paint.

Thanks

You should check Classicbarnegats.com I believe they sell a complete dodger for their boats as an option so they just might sell one to you.

I just made a new one, my last one was Cordura, I figured canvas was the best deal pricewise cause my motto is "Cheap is best, but free is better", and was going to order the material online, and low and behold.. Walmart has canvas by the yard. Picked a dark olive color, washed it, and treated it here at home with a mix of Boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits and a dash of Cuprinol.
It's working out great, sheds water, and smells like, well, treated canvas,lol. Have under 20 bucks invested in it

Last edited by a moderator:
PB260168.jpg

I had the above dodger made out of 1000 denier cordura that I ordered from Macks. It is lighter on the one side, as you can see on the folded buggy top portion of the canvas, but so far no fading. I do keep the boat inside year round though so your mileage may vary, but so far so good after about three seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking about using an Army pup tent for the material for my dodger when I get ready. I see unissued tents on eBay for around $20 or so and 2 halves should be more than enough material? Anyone already try this?

Dave

Universal Spray Shield
Made in the olive fabric with a solid vinyl backing.
Its 26" on the center seam and almost 8' from end to end.
Comes with snaps and instructions to mount on your boat.
Loops to grass it up with, you provide the pole.
Ropes tie to deck or oar locks, hardware provided.​
Item # Bag Price
17. Spray Shield $ 60.00​
i got mine from diane in NJ - had it in 3 days- and its awesome!!​

Went with Marine Grade Sunbrella from Sailrite for my cockpit cover. It's too soon to measure the longevity and UV resistance but it's supposed to be good stuff.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Craig,good looking black duck decoys on your bbsb,how big are they,did you make them? Bill.
Thanks. They are quite large, I don't know specifics but maybe I'd consider calling them 'super magnums'?

I did not make them, they are George Soule LL bean bodies with Tom Matus heads.
[/font]

I got mine from Diane a few years ago, works great and the photo of the BBSB in her ad is mine​
Universal Spray Shield
Made in the olive fabric with a solid vinyl backing.
Its 26" on the center seam and almost 8' from end to end.
Comes with snaps and instructions to mount on your boat.
Loops to grass it up with, you provide the pole.
Ropes tie to deck or oar locks, hardware provided.​
Item # Bag Price
17. Spray Shield $ 60.00​
i got mine from diane in NJ - had it in 3 days- and its awesome!!​

Back