some pictures from the season

Rob Canady

some pictures of the season i thought you guys would like. we killed alot more birds then last year despite the warmer temps... sure was nice setting out in 50 degree mornings instead of freezing ones. Gunned out of the layouts alot more this year.

12-16-114.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

12-16-119-1.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

12-16-116.jpg

12-15-119.jpg

12-26-115.jpg

12-21-113.jpg

12-26-113.jpg

12-16-112small.jpg

There is only one hen in this group, all the others that dont have color were immature drakes, surf and common, we managed to only kill 4 or 5 hens all season long which i was really excited about. All the surfs you wanted, a handful of commons and one whitewing... im still after the whitewing.. saw 10-12 this year, my brother shot one, i had one at about 50 yards but couldnt bring him out... maybe next year!

Last edited:
nice pictures. we shoot a lot of blacks and whitewings, not many surfs but don't get many with the nice plummage, very jealous!
the spinner, that works for the scoter?

Great pictures Rob. Is that an H-Bar in your spread?

yea its one we rigged up, im not sure if it really makes that much difference, weve shot them with and without it. That thing can be enough of a hassle sometimes it isnt worth messing with. As with all ducks location seems to be number one, if your where there goin to i think you could kill them with any spread combination.

Alot of people say they are stupid and will come to anything but i dont believe that either, i think they are an "uneducated" species since they are not sought after by so much hunting pressure like everything else.

Great pictures Rob. Is that an H-Bar in your spread?

yea its one we rigged up, im not sure if it really makes that much difference, weve shot them with and without it. That thing can be enough of a hassle sometimes it isnt worth messing with. As with all ducks location seems to be number one, if your where there goin to i think you could kill them with any spread combination.

Alot of people say they are stupid and will come to anything but i dont believe that either, i think they are an "uneducated" species since they are not sought after by so much hunting pressure like everything else.

I think we have found the same thing that they are more often than not more of a hassle than it seems to be worth but can def. add some visibility to a spread.

I agree with your undeducated comment. When sea ducks first took on here in WI I hunted them out of a white boat with 12 bluebill decoys. Now you see everyone in layout boats or at least a grey boat, because there are 30 boats out of a launch on a given weekend. Sure wish we got the nice drakes like you guys do, beautiful birds.

nice pictures. we shoot a lot of blacks and whitewings, not many surfs but don't get many with the nice plummage, very jealous!

im jealous! ill trade you a surf trip for a whitewing trip anyday!

you know i have shot some wierd color combinations here this year, look at this hen with a white patch on the back of her head.. (that first drake was one of the biggest prettyiest birds i shot all season, his white patch on the back of his neck was as long as i have ever seen stretched out, i was hunting by myself last week when i shot them)

1-24-126.jpg

and the 5th drake from the right in this pic doesnt have a white patch on the front, we shot a couple like that.

12-22-11.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with your undeducated comment. When sea ducks first took on here in WI I hunted them out of a white boat with 12 bluebill decoys. Now you see everyone in layout boats or at least a grey boat, because there are 30 boats out of a launch on a given weekend. Sure wish we got the nice drakes like you guys do, beautiful birds.

Man i know what you mean and im afraid thats coming here too.. im seeing more and more boats going after them, thank god 90% of them have no idea what thier doing and get frustrated with it quick but i know its just a matter of time before its overrun like everything else..

I was hesitant to even post these pics but i really like seeing your gunning pictures from the northeast part of the country so i had to share some of my own in return. This site is defiently one of the better ones though, i believe there are more traditional hunters here then anywhere i have found, theres some sites i wouldnt dream of putting these on..

Amen to that. This site is the best for being able to post pictures and stories with more responses and thought than "Where were you guys?".

Most people here know about it but the cost of getting into it, the knowledge of how to do it properly and the danger of big water still holds the majority of people back which I dont think will chance much here now even though most know about it.

im jealous! ill trade you a surf trip for a whitewing trip anyday!
funny how the grass is always greener lol I have never seen a hen with the white patch, probably an old girl loosing her hormones?

Great season and great photos! Thanks for that. Way to get after 'em in the layouts! I still have never tried it yet. The plan is to build one this year! My goal is to have 2 gunning boxes and a water layout finished by October! Pretty lofty goal I know, but, I do have a retired father-in-law who is bored and needs stuff to do, so this may actually happen!

Congratulations on a wonderful hunting season. I'm glad you did so well. I sure enjoyed looking at those pics especially the sunrise. After reading your story, it is interesting to find out that there are others who enjoy hunting in a more mild climate besides me.
Al

Rob,

The background of your pictures reminds me of coming across the causeway to the mainland from the Outer Banks. I do have a question as well. THe boat with the scoters laying on it, is it an Armstrong Broadbill, or a wooden version?

Thanks for sharing Rob, brings back some good memories of out in the sea duck zone. A lot of fun and we rarely saw anyone out there.

Rob did you happen to go to East Carolina University?

yea i did, you wouldnt happen to be a wiscott would you?

Rob,

The background of your pictures reminds me of coming across the causeway to the mainland from the Outer Banks. I do have a question as well. THe boat with the scoters laying on it, is it an Armstrong Broadbill, or a wooden version?

Its a Broadbill i re-did.

Back