spring Gobbler

Well this will mark my 30th year chasing the long beards and I have yet to bag one .I always work a few birds every year and they never come in close enough for the shot . I do not realy care about the kill to me its a real thrill to hear one working to my calling . I guess I would have quite by now after 30 years of being skunked I know a few friends that kill one every year they hunt tyhem hard and it is truly there passion . As far as calls go I prefer a nice friction call I carry 3 a trueslate ,fiberglass and Lynch fool proof .I like the diaphram calls but over the years they seem to shut down from these I think its from all the hunters out in the woods practicing all the time I truly believe this educates the birds I just get more answers with my slate calls . My favorite call is a homemade wingbone call made by my departed friend Dennis Smith . Dennis was the all time best turkey hunter I ever knew as well as being a great Goose guide Dennis probably killed over 100 birds all around the country it was truly his lifes calling . When Dennis passed on he was laid out with a neclace of turkey spurs around his neck and a boxcall in his hand he was in a nice suit but I am sure he would of rather have been in his favorite cammo pattern . I know when I was aboy and storm would come in and after a good clap of thunder my Pop would say thats Grandpop bowling up in heaven well now when I hear the thunder I think thts Dennis working a nice longbeard up in P aridise . Hey Dennis send one my way this year .

Hello Steve, Thank you for posting. I was about to give up. I guess you have a lot more patience than me. You are so right though. It isn't about the killing. Its about being out there and all the preperation. I think I am an average waterfowler but this turkey hunting really bruised my ego. Its been a blast.

Gary March

Back