Stencil Colors opinion

Walton Webster

i have started the stenciling for m boat. i hunt mostly flooded thickets and wild brush. no grass. here is a little work from tonight. any thoughts on colors?

P1010105.jpg

Walton,are you doing them with an airbrush? Try to make one side lighter,and one side darker,think of how the sun would be shining upon your boat,there will be lighter places with the direct sun light,and darker,and darker towards the backside,to get the true 3 dimensional look,the airbrush would help considerably,let me know if I can help,Brian Rippelmeyer

Walton,is that white or yellow paint that you are using? Start with some yellows,browns,experiment first,just like your doing,that is the best way of finding what you like,mix some leaves,tree-bark etc. in it will blend real nice. hope this helps

What is the color of the brush stems ? add some of that. Every third or fourth stem. Also a black stem every so often. Think dark, light, large, small. A good trick is every so often stand a hundred feet from your painting and look at it. You have a good start

Back to colors. The term Earth colors, not made by man. are always good colors for camo. Burnt umber, raw umber, raw sienna, burnt sienna, Ocher, Also black and white.

Go to Lou's site Lock Stock and Barrel and look at the colors of the paints you can't go wrong.

Remember have fun. You can't go wrong. I don't have any thing against stencils but free hand is superior to stencils in camo don't be afraid to try it.

Sorry for the delta. Work has been extra busy over the weekend.

My stencils are hand made buck brush style.

I started the stencil solid black. Then moved the stencil over just slightly and came in with a farm green, brown and followed that up with a khaki color. I will post pictures when I get home.

Thanks for the input. I'll post what I have after reading a few things and see if you like.

Back