TDB paint job

Gary F

What kind of paint should I use if I am going to repaint a Maine built TDB? The sun took its
toll on the paint by fading it. I just put penetrol paint conditioner on it but that makes it
shine which is not good. This brings the color back but like I said it shines!!!

Gary,
We were a factory authorized repair facility for TDB back then. Seems to me (going back into memory) that they primarily used colored gel coat and then threw some sand into it during cure to get a non-skid surface. They always shipped me the gel I needed for the repair I was doing.

Now, I'd just go with our FME colors. See what matches best for you from our charts. Go to the website: www.lockstockbarrell.com and scroll down the the FME link and see what might work. I don't know what their exact colors were back then as I don't have the colors here to match exactly in FME. Now...if you do have color chips.....I can have them matched for you.
Lou

I have a maine built tdb and i think the feaded look blends in better,I was also thinking of painting it one solid color such as to blend in with the marsh better

Gary I had a TDB for years I would use penetrol twice a year before and after the season have no fear the shine will go away in no time and the paint will look great.

Thanks guys. If the penetrol continues to work and the shine goes away I am
fine with that. I can put my time and money else where. I really want to come
up with a new blind system for this boat. Well thanks again guys!!!

Gary,
I would like to change the blind on my 17'TDB also. Take a look at bustemboatblinds.com. Lance has not put one on a TDB style yet but he is interested in trying.
What do you think?
Bill.

Back