TDB thoughts

Just kidding, but have your money in order so you can jump on a deal. I don't know how many deals I've missed because I didn't have instant cash.

I just spent a month looking at and for TDB 17's and I can tell you that there are several 14's on the market. It will all come down to finding one close to you unless you have a lot of time and gas to travel with. The folks selling the 14's seem to have trouble selling them. A nice 17 is gone pretty fast. There are a few TDB's that have been on the market for quite a while and I think it's for two reasons - 1. saltwater use. and 2. premium price.

From what I saw you should be able to get a nice condition used MAINE built TDB 14, motor and trailer for under $8,000.00. I would hold out for a Maine built boat that is a sea class version. All though the classics sell for less and are still a nice boat.

what are you all wondering about?

Brain, i bought a 14ft classic the middle of last season and I'm glad I did. I didn't spend an arm and leg for it, but i was the highest bidder on e-bay. you could probably get a better deal here. i'd bet you could find one with a small motor for $4,000 easy. what other advice are you looking for. there's several of us on here that love to talk about how we're rigging ours out.

My buddy sold one in just about perfect condition with a really nice trailer and no motor for 4,200 so deals are there.

They are a good boat and have a bit of a cult following. I love mine but I'm the first to admit it's not perfect. No boat is. I don't hunt with a dog but I'm told they are not a good dog boat and I can see why. It is a great hunting platform and portable blind. If you are looking for a cruiser in the off season, maybe not your best bet.

Like others have said, have your cash ready and move fast when a deal comes up. That's how I got mine.

Gene Jr.

Thanks for the responses,Other questions I have is,is there enough room for my young son,dog,and all the gear?What is a good size of motor for that boat. I have talked to few sellers,and have got different prices,what is fair and what is not? I really appreciate all the feed back! Thanks Brian

Brian, there's plenty of room for you, your son and dog.
i run a 100lb 20hp and can get on plane very easily with me and dog. have a bit of trouble getting on plane with 2 men and dog. it's not a planing hull, but don't tell my boat that.

seriously consider a remote steer engine and installing Ezy-glide stick steering like Gene Jr. (search Posts for photo). he put it horizontal on bow. this will give you better visability and more weight up front for those rough waters.

I carry 2 doz geese and could carry more. one dozen are in outside-mount gunnel bags.

TDB is dog-friendly. i ditched my stand, just don't need it. i hunt near shore, so he justs jumps back in. I've picked him up in open water with little effort.

Back