texturing/paint question for gadwall decoys

chester sadowski

I started painting some e allen decoys this fall in hopes that maybe at some point in the season i might be able to use them. The problem is i cant really get around the texture /painting on the chest and sides of my gadwall drakes. I have several different decoys, feathers, photos, ect. Im just overloaded with visuals and my only advise if from a friend who did these several years ago. I started by applying the texture gel and then figured i would apply the base coat (cant decide on that color) and then dry brush white over the highs. The result was something that really didnt stand out too good. I put in an e-mail to Lou to see if he had and pdf's on doing them. If any one has any info to share that would be great. Im just looking to do the best ob i possible can on them.

Chester

Chester, i am presently working on a gaddie--Have everything up thru the scapulars, and am getting ready to do the base combing for back, sides and chest-U yndercoat with a mix of carbon black and burnt umber, to create a brownish black--when paint is partially dry--ACRYLIC, Golden Matte---i texture the paint with the wider end of a regular plastic comb, then let the paint dry--You will have time to play with the texturing, as the paint does not dry instantly---Then, i dry brush the surface with a mix of titanium white and a bit of raw umber, to kill the harshness of the white--Seems tht the gaddie is blackish with white vermiculation--As for the chest, i do not do wht white dry brushing, but use a wide liner to create the squiggly light part of the chest , part of the back close to neck, and part of the lower side-. If you want, come over to dover-i will be glad to postpone this part of the process to give you a live demo, which makes more sense==give a call
302-270-8706, or e mail me at gwdecoys@verizon.net

If you have a body around, use it as your main reference. Much better than photos, although they are good in a pinch.
For a good set of reference shots, go to www.ejphoto.com
click on birds, then scroll to gadwall.

Thanks George,

I actually wish i had a body to look at. The problem is i have some wings and chest feathers. I looked at so much i was just lost with what to do because everything was different. Please dont wait for me, i really appreciate it but time is truly the issue. I dont get much anymore so every little bit i get to put into them i want to do it right. I'll try to give you a call, and if you feel like taking a few pics in the process of how to that would be great too. Thanks so much. If i could ever figure out how to post pics i would so i could get advise as well.

I just got through with some Gadwalls. I base coat all of my decoys with black. I applied a mixture of Burnt Umber and Ultramarine Blue to the sides, back and part of the rump using a sponge. Using a metal texturing comb I combed all that I applied to mix to. After it dried I dry brushed the combed areas with a mix of Burnt Umber, Ultramarine blue and added a small bit of Titanium White using a medium fan blender. I saved the rest of the mix. After that dried I mix a bit more Titanium White into the mix and dry brush over the combed area lightly. Repeat this whole process again and add a small bit mor Titanium white. What I am doing is making layers a 3 different shades of grey over the combing. If you take your time with this you can make it really have some nice depth and it will look like feathers. Be careful not to get much in the vallies or you will kill the vermicualtion effect.
On the breast I use a small fan blender and tap in white. Let that dry and tap in Raw Umber. Let dry and tap in a mixture of Raw Umber and Black.

On the scapulars I just hold the decoy with the rear towards me. I start on the largest scapulars. Using a medium Filbert turned on it's side I applied Raw Sienna. Just load your brush and drag them all towards you in single rows from right to left. While it is still wet I use a smaller Filbert and do the same thing using Raw Umber on the centers. While that is still wet I use a dry fan blender and drag it lightly over the feather and wipe the brush off on my pant's leg. Keep repeating this process until you have that row blended. After that row has dried do another row and overlap the previous row. Overlap another row onto the last. This will give you a really nice layered look.

The absolute best looking Gadwall I have ever seen was really simple. Grey sides blended into black breast. Vermiculation on the sides were Raw Umber/Black mix just squiggled on. Breast was just a warm white squiggled on. Back was Raw sienna with a bit of raw umber dry brushed in the centers. Head was simple raw umber base coat with tan cheeks. At 20 yards it looked alive. In the hand it looked like poop!
Have fun.

Im just curious. I haven't seen you guys mention using any texturing paste or gel. I am assuming when you comb over the base coat you are mixing the texture coat in with one of those. The comb size may also be my problem. I have one of the metal one's(small black with about 6 fingers). Seems really tight, may have to play with it just a bit more. They seem really hard to find. Looked at the art store where i get the paint, didnt have one that was really flexible. The one i'm actually using i picked up in Tuckerton from Knotts Knives who is right on the shore with me. Any suggestions on where to get those.

I don't use paste or gell any more. Just sponge the paint on thick. If you think you have it too thick put a bit more on. Comb a line and wipe the excess on your pant's leg. Comb another line and wipe again.

Combs:

I use the medium:

http://www.qualitycarvingsupplies.com/store/page52.html

You can also get a cheap bridel comb and do some fairly cool stuff with it. Just go to the dollar store and pick through the women's hair bows and combs.

Back