Thinning paint on TDB

cdawgs65

Hi, I've got thinning paint on the top portion of the cockpit/coaming and it’s exposing the fiberglass fibers. Should I seal with west system epoxy /resin before priming and painting?

Hi, I've got thinning paint on the top portion of the cockpit/coaming and it’s exposing the fiberglass fibers. Should I seal with west system epoxy /resin before priming and painting?
A photo would help here. If the raw 'glass fibers are exposed they could certainly allow water into the weave. If so, a coat or two of epoxy resin should be applied. Sand the area + 2 inches wider, wipe with acetone, then brush on (chip brush or foam brush). Second coat can be applied once the first coat is still a bit taclky, Once fully cured, wash with water (to remove "asmine blush") then scuff-sand with 80 or 100 grit. Apply 2 or 3 coats of duckboat paint.

Hope this helps!

SJS

If you'd like you can call TDB The Duck Boat Company directly: (508) 364-0431 LIZ is always in the office and happy to help answer any questions you may have with these older boats. Tom her husband is also a great resource. The Olsen family's door is always open for help great people. www.tdbco.com

Back