What is the Speed of Your BBSB

Capt. Frank Miller

I know the speed issue of BBSB'S and displacement hulls has been beat to death. But I am curious to know what type of spped you guys are getting with your traditional BBSB / motor combination.
Thanks

Frank,
Years ago I built a bbsb that had a lot of rocker in it therfore a displacement hull. Loaded down with a dog, anchors, decoys, gear and myself, powered by I 15 horse the boat would move a long at about 10 mph. The boat was not fast but, I felt safe to take that boat out in the worst possible weather.

Two years ago I bought a used classis bbsb made of 100% fiberglass also a displacement hull. The boat Loaded down with same load as mentioned above and powered by the same motor The boat would run at about 14 mph.

Just this pass summer I puchased a planning hull chadwick box from a buddy of mine. Wth the same 15 the boat moves out at about 20mph...nice smooth ride...love it!. Quite frankly unless I have a place were I'm going to be rowing the sneakbox then I propbably will stay with a planning hull from here on out. Good luck...

I hope this helps ask if you have more questions.
Zane

My Estuary goes 10-12 mph with a 15 hp (depends on tides, current and/or wind). I feel very safe...

I'll give the loaded speed in a another month or so.... but empty, with myself and my 18 yr old son.... I could get 12 mph without the dol-fin. By myself with out the Dol-fin I could get 12 mph, now with the Dol-fin installed, I can get 14 mph. I suspect loaded I'll be right around 10 to 11 mph.

Displacement hull.....

Dave

have a new leftover 2 stoke 25 on a chuck huff. dont have gps but its real quick feels every bit of 35 mph. i have to check.

My Black Brant, stretched a foot to 15' 5", with a 1990 25hp Yamaha outboard, empty with just me in the boat, I get 22mph as clocked by the gps.

I have a Gus Heinrich Sr. displacement hull with a 9.8hp nissan. I usually run 10-12mph on a gps. It is slow, but I feel safe.

Back