Who built my BBSB?

Steve Sanford

All~

Can anyone tell me who built this 'glass sneakbox?

I used it for about 6 or 8 years before I moved away from Long Island. I found it - all broken up - next to a body shop and restored it. It was never a well-built craft. Hull and deck are 'glass. Three 1x2 wooden stringers (long since rotted away) were installed sloppily and hull had (and still has) a twist. No sign of any bulkheads. Glass was hand laid, not chopped.

In these pictures, I made the thatch rails, spray dodger, motor mount (which has been replaced since I took these photos) and floorboards - so they are not clues to the original boat.

A guy at a SSWA Duckboat Show thought it might have been built in NJ by a Regan or Reagan (?). I'm guessing it dates from 60s. It's (I think) 13'5" LOA with at 5'2" beam. It is not a planing hull. It is very seaworthy, rows and poles very nicely, and is fast enough for me with a 9.9 on it.

View attachment Sanford BBSB - vs.jpg View attachment Sanford BBSB from bow - vs.jpg View attachment Sanford BBSB from stern - vs.jpg

View attachment Sanford BBSB section - vs.jpg

Later this year, I plan to replace the decks so I can have a narrower cockpit and a bit more crown to the decks. (This will also allow me to get the twist out of the hull.) I look forward to getting it back on saltwater next winter.

Thanks for any information you have.

All the best,

SJS

How does one determine who built the BBSB's? I'sv scoured mine for a plate and have found nothing indicating builder, year, origin, anything.

Help!

Mike

It doesn't appear to be one, but it looks similar to the original classic barnegat mold, when you could buy them as a kit.

I would have to see larger closer pictures, but I agree looks like a Classic Barnegat when sold in kit form. I have one and but my stringers are not wood, but could have been part of an early kit.

Mike, keep a photo journal of your rebuild, lots of original photos, and original construction details... and bring them and the box to Tuckerton, NJ the last weekend in September... entered in the sneakbox restoration class.... the locals will look it over and venture a guess who built it and when....

I really like the lines and measurements of this boat. I can totally see where putting more slope on the deck is a great idea.

If you could somehow take pics and measurements, then get a boatbuilder to make plans, I'm feel that it would be a very popular plan package. It would be wonderful on a lot of inland and midwestern marshes........

Please document the rehab and post it, along with measurements and top view, side views, stern views, and bow views so members could, with a little effort, make plans for and build a similar hull.

Mike

All~

I do, in fact, plan to photodocument my renovations later this spring/summer.

And, I will measure it up, too. Several years back, a friend and I molded a hull from my boat. We added more crown in the deck - in fact, I still have the patterns we made for the bulkheads with that added crown. So, completing a full set of measured plans will be that much less work.

Bill~ Jim's idea that this was converted from a sailboat hull confuses this boat with the boat Mike Fishman and I made for him - a slide presentation of which we gave to SSWA. We cut down a 'glass Wood Pussy and decked it over with 1/4" plywood. He still has the boat - but I've not been able to unearth the slide show.

There is no evidence that my boat was ever a sailboat (although sneakboxes, of course, remain a sailing class today) - no sign of centerboard trunk or slot, no mast step, etc.

One thing I especially like about this boat is the size. It's big enough to comfortably carry 2 gunners plus gear. And, when my Dad got close to 70, I built a sit-up blind that I lashed over the generous cockpit. We shot athwartships - a poor man's TDB.

[inline "TMS & SJS east of Gilgo I ~ 1993 vs.jpg"]

This picture was ~ 1993 - note my dark beard. We had a nice shoot. I'm standing in front of my first and only triple on Gadwall.

I guess all of your interest means I really have to finish this boat this year....

All the best,

SJS

View attachment TMS & SJS east of Gilgo I ~ 1993 vs.jpg

Back