Would like to build a shelf

John Fraser

Currently I have a small collection of four old decoys. I would like to move them out of the basement and display them in the house. I've got some 3/4" ash that I had milled last spring from a tree in our yard that i would like to use for the shelf. Looking for patterns I found this simple pattern that I like.

http://www.leeswoodprojects.com/wall_shelf.html

The only thing is that I'd like to make it a little wider (at least as wide as the widest board - about 9" or 10") and longer (the boards I have are at least 7' long - that should leave room for a couple more birds in the future). I realize that I'll probably have to increase the size of the brackets and also add a third bracket.

Does anyone have any advice for me? If the widest board isn't wide enough for the the larger decoys, can I lay two boards across the top to gain width? Does anyone have any other good patterns? How about methods of fastening it to the wall? Or any preferred finishes for white ash (I'm thinking some sort of stain/poly)?

All of my carpentry to this point has been just crude stuff, so any tips are greatly appreciated!

John,
I have made about 8 of these style shelves for family and friends. I use jus 1x pine from a big box store. The tops are 1x12 and I just free handed a pattern for the supports. I antique the shelves before finish and for a finish I used a stain and poly in one and sanded between coats and when complete to give the antique look.

John~

Here is one of mine ~ it is a corner unit. One "wing" is 66" from the corner out to the bracket; the other is 48" from the corner. The shelf itself is 8" deep.

Shelf%201_zpsxl8pkcfs.jpg

As mine are painted, I used yellow poplar (aka tulip tree). I fasten it to the wall through the fascia (back/cleat) - then putty and paint the holes. If I cannot find studs to screw directly, toggle bolts work fine.

I do not add them here - but I have commonly put shaker pegs in the fascia - to hang hats, duck calls, back tags, etc.

Shelf%203_zpspbhjirju.jpg

The bracket shape is one I drew up about 30 years ago - I keep the template hanging in my shop.

Shelf%202_zpsmiynn68z.jpg

If you need a wider shelf, you can certainly glue 2 boards together to get the width. Square edges - usually from a jointer - and several strong bar clamps are needed for a nice seam.

At 7 feet LOA, you probably do want a middle bracket - to prevent sag over time.

re natural finishes - there are lots of choices - and it's really up to your taste. Since water is not an issue (as it would be on a table, for example), you could try tung oil or antique oil. You'll get a softer luster - and less work between coats.

Hope this helps,

SJS

I have been planing on building storage/display shelves for the family room. What I have planned on doing is to use two parallel shelf boards spaced apart to clear the thickest of my keels. That way the deeks will sit on the shelf with the keels hanging out of the way. No need for stands and all at the same level.

Scott

View attachment decoyshelf.jpg

Not a very good picture, but an idea how to use the space over the windows... My wife purchased a set of two steel brackets from Cabelas that hold a 6" oak plank and curtain rod. The shelf is best for more narrow birds, but easily holds three. I'm sure you could use a much cheaper commercial steel bracket, or make one yourself, if you want to use that space. View attachment shelf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. You’ve gave me some good ideas.

Scott S.: Your picture of that shelf in Steve’s “Broadbill Flyer” post is what gave me the idea for this project.

Steve: I like the idea of a corner shelf, will have to see if that will fit in the spot I have in mind.

Funny that you mention tulip tree, my parents had yellow poplar paneling in their home. The original owner who built the house and installed the paneling had a lumber yard. It was stained and had a lighter color and grain, kind of like pine.

Back