Wouldn't let me post my decoys in the carving section so here....

Mike Rowinsky

Here are some Canada Geese I am refurbishing and an OLD mallard I put a head on. I am NOT happy with the results from the Bondo experiment.

Comments? Be nice! My first carvings and I am planning on hunting over them.

goosetwo_zps1c5793ca.jpg

gooseone_zpscd07c9b6.jpg

Close up of head carving... I Like them stocky to avoid breakage.
Gooseonehead_zpsd4383677.jpg

Mallard with new head. Gunner!
FeederDuck_zpsd4d50d7a.jpg

Close up of head.
feederhead_zps4c35bc65.jpg

Eyes (By the hundreds!) are on their way from China. Anyone want some? I'm willing to deal. Paint 'em the colors you need.

Mike

I think it's a good start. Make what looks good to you, as long as you are happy with them. I think they will kill birds no problem. Good luck

Thanks Riley! I wish someone had warned me away from Bondo. However, I am proud of the way the heads turned out. Sure, I am planning on getting better, but I am happy with the goose heads as is. The mallard, not so much...but it'll hunt.

Buying a Foredom SOON!!!!

Mike

Congrats on a great start. I wish my first heads had been half as good as yours. You have just taken the first steps down a road you will love!

One of the most useful foredom accessories I own are the padded drum sander sold by the duckblind (willey Mcdonald).

The carbide burrs allow you to bring down wood fast, and the padded sanders let you get a very nice finish in an amazing time.

From a blank, cut from top and side views, I can rough out a head and have it sanded, ready to mount in about 20 minutes. Obviously if you want to put in a lot of bill details, rolls in the cheeks, and other contesting details, you can spend another hour or two on the head alone. But if you just want presentable gunners, you can easily do a head in 30 minutes with power tools.........

What carving books do you own? Some of the older LeMaster books gave good directions on bird proportions and attitudes, and the latest by Keith Mueller is a gem. The Matus book on antique decoys is a good one to own too.........

Please keep carving and posting. How about some pics when you get them painted?

Mike

Mike~

I disagree! with your comments about the Mallard. I think it's on the path to a fine decoy. Keep at it!

SJS

I appreciate the comments. I don't own many books and those that I do, I hardly look at when I am carving. Without trying to sound too mystical, I just let the wood dictate what it wants to be and go with it. I AVOID trying to put in too much detail and LOATH the head up, straight ahead decoy heads. Those are openly available and don't represent the fowl I hunt. I've watched birds for hundreds of hours and don't think a group of decoys all looking in the same direction is realistic at all. Plus, any details I could carve would only serve to impress others hunters, not the birds I am carving them for.

It may be a bit snotty, but if anyone criticizes my decoys in the field I offer them other directions in which to look. (or a blackened eye to adjust their visual acuity) I carve them for me, my kids, and my future generations to hunt over, not hoard. This being said, I do appreciate comments when I present them for such. I would like to get better and better and eventually not only be good, but faster.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited:
I am glad you are so comfortable in your decoy carving skin.....Damn, maybe you are a reincarnation of Joe Wooster's spirit.

PM me with info on the eye and cost per pair. I don't mind painting them and am really looking for reasonably priced eyes for gunners...........

Thanks in advance

Mike

I am glad you are so comfortable in your decoy carving skin.....Damn, maybe you are a reincarnation of Joe Wooster's spirit.

PM me with info on the eye and cost per pair. I don't mind painting them and am really looking for reasonably priced eyes for gunners...........

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike,

Embarrassed, I had to look him up to realize what a compliment that is. Thanks!

Let me get the eyes in, they're on their way, and I'll send you a hand full.

Mike R.

Back