Wrap up another one....

Carl

Staff member
Gave the divers another shot today. Set up on a large shallow flat in wide open water (No land for one mile in two direction, 7 miles in another and 30 miles in the other!) where I have been seeing a the GEs, bufflers and a pile of bluebills. Well, it was definately slow; GEs and buffies were there but never came near enough for a shot and the flocks of big flocks of bluebills were 1/2 mile away and just not moving.
Only got one shot and bagged a nice drake greater scaup.
Wind started to pick up from the south & the tide started to come in, which can make Mobile Bay very nasty, so we picked up and headed home.

[inline LastDayJan2011.jpg ]

[inline GreaterScaupJan29_2011.jpg ]

Thus ends my 13th season chasing ducks in coastal Alabama. Overall, not a bad season, not a great one, but not bad. I shot like crap, especially compared to last year when I couldnt miss. Had some days when I just wasnt on the X but still had fun hunts. Learned some new lessons on when & where too.
I think overall, the decrease in our grassbeds, which is a relic of the 2006-07 droughts, is still hurting us. We just dont have the food supply we did back when I first started hunting here back in 1997-98. Some of my favorite spots have been devoid of grass and birds for 3 years now. But things are looking up, we've gotten normal precipitation this year and we're seeing signs of recovery. I am optomistic that next season we'll have a lot more Vallsneria than we do now. And I'm working with the Dauphin Island Sea Lab on a Vallsneria seed collection and propagation pilot project, so who know, maybe we'll start replanting the old beds next year too.

Definately looking forward to next year:
  • Will have my 3rd & 4th dzn foamers done (redheads, & GEs, maybe some hen buffies),
  • will be hunting out of a "new" semi-v (vs. my old mod-v jon)
  • and:
  • best of all, my son will be shooting next year and Coco will be in the boat for her first season as duck retriever.
[inline CocoJan29_2011.jpg ]

With an outlook like that, how in the world can I wait 9 months?????

View attachment GreaterScaupJan29_2011.jpg
View attachment CocoJan29_2011.jpg
View attachment LastDayJan2011.jpg

Carl
That nine months wait, will be worth nine years wait, has far as coco is conserned, this will give her more time to mature and if you brake her into gunfire slowly with the aid of a .22 starting pistol with short blanks, sitting coco 50 yards away then firing a shot and watching her reaction, and then repeating this process getting 10 yards closer to her on each shot untill she is right next to you, you should have no problems, reference a gunshy puppy, but if she shows any form of nerves, stop straight away and try it again about 3 days later, dont try this exercise until she is about 10 months old. and having your son with your for the first time will make that new hunt a day to remember. Thanks for posting the pictures mate.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

Eddie,
Thanks for the advice.
I've already exposed her to loud noises (power saw, vaccuum, outboard running in the driveway, etc..). So far, no adverse reactions to loud noise at all.
Lets hope that holds up!

Carl
Thats good to see that she aint showing any recaction but just a thing to take note on, there is a couple of times in a pups life that they can be very nervy and this is when they are about 9 months old and 15 months old this is the time to proceed with caution.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

I used shells with the primer only. (poppers) Longer barrel directs noise away , plus it is what you are going to be hunting with. If you dont reload someone who does can help you out.

Last edited:
IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A RELOADER, OR SOMEONE WHO RELOADS, TRY STARTING WITH 38 SPECIAL BRASS WITH PRIMERS ONLY. YOU CAN WORK YOUR WAY UP FROM THERE, BLANKS ARE EXPENSIVE TO BUY, BUT EASY TO MAKE.

GIL

John
Gill
The object of breaking the pup into gunfire is the sound of the shot, by useing a .22short blank first. these are not has loud as a .38 or a 12 guage, you have got to do it gradualy, I introduced Amber to gunfire last week useing the .22 short blank from a starting pistol, I got a box of 100 blanks and up to now I have fired 68 over her and they have not botherd her one bit, so my next stage is to move onto the .22 long blank has these are a bit louder from my dummy launcher but starting the same process from 50 yards away from me until she is right beside of me, after that process is finished then she will be ready for the 12 gauge, Has you can see it is all done in stages that way I wont scare the crap out of her and get a gunshy pup.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Shotgun primer is not very loud. No charge. Worked fine for my 6month chessie. He was watching the bumper flying when the primer popped. First shots were at a distance. He pays attention now when he hears gunshots.

John
I Have to disagree with you on the sound of a 12 gauge primer not being loud, I have seen a lot of good pups ruined in my time with guys just going banging 12 gauges at the side of a new pup, thats why I said you have to do it gradualy, granted you did this from a distance at first but still I would had not taken the chance. There is a old saying when it comes to breaking a pup into gunfire, (Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread) and I stand by it. Breaking a pup into the sound of shot in stages in my view is the safest direction to take and I have use this meathod over the years and I have never had a gunshy pup yet.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

I'm no expert, but I made shur that EVERY time my pup heard the bang, from a cap gun thru the full sound of a shotgun there was a good smelling bird went plop right in front of him. They caught on kwickly that the scary noise brought good things falling from the sky. Soon I couldnt take a gun out without the dog got excited. BUT if they had shown any sighn of fright at the niose I'd have backed way off& started over way more slowly. I think the reinforcement of a real bird at the sound of gunfire helps. It worked great on both labs I'v raised& trained. JMHO.
Dennis

Dennis
I agree with you, throwing a dummy at the same time as you let the bang go, does take the pups my mind off the bang and makes the game a lot more interesting. As I have said before in other conversations, its all a game to a pup and they learn through play,but you have still got to proceed with caution and if in dout stop straight away.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

What I've done for gunfire is just go to a skeet,trap or sporting clays range. Park the truck about a quarter mile away, put the dog on a lead and take your time walking to the range. By the time you get there gunfire will never be an issue. I'm sure this is not my idea but I can't remember where I picked it up. I've done this with 6 Chesapeake including 2 that I took to the Grand in Vandaila. You can even do this with a bunch of friends/rednecks with a portable trap.

Back