August - What's new on your workbench?

Thanks, Derek!

And thanks for sending such great profile shots - makes it easy for me to "borrow" your patterns. I love the lines on all of your decoys.

All the best,

SJS

Derek, Nice teal! I saw my first flock of Blue-wings this morning here in NJ. I am sure they will be in your neighborhood when our season opens in October.

Jode, i keep trying to explain about bluewings to the morons on our advisory council, but somehow, they think they will be here in mid september--The old experiment was to harvest bwt, but somehow, our culos seem to have either ignored that, OR, they are playing politics--Either way, the late september fiasoc appears to produce eclipse greenwings, and the same for juvie sprig, juvie shovelers, and woodies---all mistakes, of course!!
Drives me to distraction, it does.

I hear ya George. I doubt we'll ever get a shot at them except for a random late migrator. :>(

I always like doing a few shorebirds in the summer....a lightly aged Curlew..............

Bob~

Great Hens - the paint is perfect! I am working on a pair of Broadbill gunners right now, but, like you, I am also working on boats and repairs and....

Here is a Herter's Brant - from Red Oster - that needed some major reconstructive surgery (I think it got too close to a stove):

OsterBrant-onbench_zps70cb8a93.jpg

It was one of 4 Bedraggled Brant that Red snuck onto the load when I hauled the Skidmore Scooter north. Here is the beginning of a new cockpit hatch for the Scooter:

CockpitHatch_zpsefc0a27e.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Nice job teaching the class Jode way to give back to the heritage of the sport. The guy that made that Canvasback did a hell of a job!!!

Steve, glad you liked the bills. I am a multi-hat-wearer these days. Rain has kept me working on inside projects. I have done the same thing to herters and Otter mallards. I have also used two part flotation foam. Made a dam of painters tape and poured it on and after it expanded shaped it. Is that cherry for the lid supports?

Heres my sons kitchen I have been working on :

BEFORE

AFTER

Ward Foundation class moving right along. All enrollees doing a great job considering zero decoy carving experience prior to starting.
Had to think of Jode today, as yesterday, the workshop of our host - a master carpenter/cabinet maker and gunstock supplier - burned down in an early morning fire that started in his office area. He's been there 40 years. A real tragedy.
Adding this link to the vid & story on fire: http://www.wlwt.com/news/crews-battle-cabinet-business-fire-in-reily-township/27695650#!bJkCxW

All but one of our class members had taken home their decoys to work on hand sanding; so only one lost in the fire. We will resume at another location this week, and the maker of the lost decoy will start again. She should be able to catch back up to everyone else in short order; and actually, I thought her block was the best in the class.

The pattern I came up with for the class is a frond-style, cork blackduck. Figured a "hybrid" of the styles I do would be a unique approach.
Setting eyes and doweling heads onto bodies this week; then sealing, self-righting, and paint will follow.

View attachment w53.jpg

View attachment w60.jpg

View attachment w66.jpg

View attachment w67.jpg
Comparison of a frond bird (pintail in rear) with the frond-style pattern in cork:
View attachment 002_renamed_28336.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Bob! I appreciate you sharing your talent and knowledge. I regret not being able to go to the Wildfowl Expo this year as I would have loved to be with you, Jode, George and the rest. Will be hunting that weekend, chasing redheads...

Bob~

I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. Many of us carry around fears of such catastrophes - especially we in the "40-years of work" category. All the best to Mr. Otto and your class.

SJS

Here's my blackduck from the NEA class with Jode. It was a ton of fun and I always learn something from him. Haven't had a chance to do much other carving. This Sneakbox project is taking up all my time.

Back