March 2017 - What's on your workbench?

Dani~

Very nice!

I have to ask, though - how was the smoke? Back in the day when I used to carve "floating decoratives" and feather texture was burned in, I had a hard time avoiding the cloud of fumes wafting up to my nose.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

If we made smoke, the instructor would harp on us about our heat settings being too high and we're supposed to be toasting the wood. The woodburner machines that we used had temperature settings so we were able to adjust it as needed. So we didn't make smoke very often at all. Generally when it happened, the instructor did it. It was unintentional but we had 7 wood burning machines plugged into two surge protectors, probably all on the same circuit so it took higher temperatures when we were all working but when we turned our burners off, Orchid would "get all of the electricity" and so her settings that were okay when everyone was turned on suddenly became too hot and she'd get smoke.

Dani

Steve, why did you make a hybrid? HEHHEHEHHEHHEHE

Referring to the thin white edge on the posterior of the speculum?
If so, very common in true blacks and has nothing to do with hybridization. Never anterior, but runs from nothing to thin white edge on the posterior edge.

Not much if any out our way. the ones we see with white usually have other mallard characteristics, like greening in the head. Perhaps it is a regional characteristic?

Perhaps it is a regional characteristic?

Might well be. I can remember discussions with Wooster on plumage details, where he was in the possible thin posterior marking camp. Seems like the science is all over the place on this matter, some claiming none others in the thin or none posterior marking. Only thing I see anyone concur on is the absence of any anterior white.
I do think that anything beyond a thin marking would indicate a strong mallard gene pool infusion ;-)

Bob

Last edited:
Bob & George~

Notice that John James Himself painted that thin, white trailing edge on the speculum. (But, he neglected the 8 - 10 dark feathers on the underside of the "wrist"....)

Audubon%20Dusky%20Duck%20-%20cropped_zps8absia1e.jpg

When we banded Black Ducks (thousands), we recorded certain "hybrid" plumage characteristics. The trailing edge was not one - but a leading edge (actually greater secondary coverts) was counted as a potential hybrid marker and was usually accompanied by others.

I painted it on this bird as a bit o' "flash" - to help accentuate the speculum.

All the best,

SJS

When we banded Black Ducks (thousands), we recorded certain "hybrid" plumage characteristics. The trailing edge was not one - but a leading edge (actually greater secondary coverts) was counted as a potential hybrid marker and was usually accompanied by others.

Interesting to know, Steve. Thanks

Yes, very interesting the canadians that i have hunted with considered any white on the wing was an indication of hybridization.

Thanks for the kind words on the fish.

Dani keep it up and in no time you'll be a burning fool. I would be making smoke. I'm not one to go easy on the heat.

I'm sticking with the springtime thoughts but at least it's a bird this time.
A turkey tail feather painted on a board. About 4 1/2" x 14 1/2", acrylics painted on a painted rough board.

20170308_202449_zpsgcpyzqg4.jpg

Tim

Tim et al~

Here is yet another Short-eared Owl for a local grassland conservancy (IBA - Important Bird Area). This image will be laser-engraved onto a stainless commemorative plaque for some benefactors.

I do not yet know if this watercolor will work - or of I need to do a pen-and-ink based on the painting.

This is the full work - on a 15" x 20" 140-pound watercolor paper "block".

SEO%20painting%20FULL_zpsqi0hzpmq.jpg

This is cropped to the correct ratio for the available space on the plaque.

SEO%20painting%20CROPPED_zpschjqthe5.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
Steve, you might want to just to a black and white, hatching the middle values. Since it is going to be engraved, just redo, going with variations of light/dark. Neat image!

Beautiful watercolor Steve. Those Short-eared Owls are really cool birds. I run into a hand full each year while pheasant hunting. It still surprises me when an owl flutters up like a moth from the grass.

Tim

Last edited:
Back