16ga. 3 inch American Shotguns?

Vince Pagliaroli

Recently I became aware of -

ARROW Remington UMC 16ga. 3IN 5CH, 3DRS EQUIV. 1 1/4oz NO 5 CH, pat. March 12, 1912, shotgun shells.

Does anyone know the American Shotguns made, and chambered for this shot shell?

in that era, any of the manufacturers would do custom work if requested, so a 3" chamber would have been an in-expensive change from Parker, Fox, Ithaca, Winchester or whomever for a double gun.

Gentlemen Thank You for the info.

I just find it odd that ammo manufactures would go through the trouble of making 3 inch 16ga. shot shells, for so very few guns made for them. How times have changed...

In this day and age, it's not easy to find steel shot for 2 3/4 16ga. for all the 16ga shotguns out there. Last year was impossible, this year is much better, but the price is high. In the mid 1990's 16ga.steel shot shells were $9.99 per box, (I still have a few boxes) $24.99 today.

Winchester Model 21 is the only American gun that I know of that was mad in 16ga 3". Only seen one in some 40+ years of looking at M21's

Rogers had it:
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/remington-steel.html?ammunition_gauge=16

They have it this year, not last year (even though it was listed), believe me I tired. Also, I live in the SAFE ACT State. Which I suggest everyone should become familiar with, it may have a broad impact after the election.

Thanks for the info about the Model 21. I wonder if Fox, L.C. Smith and others made them? They must be very rare indeed.

Vince

in the link i posted above -there is a mention of 9 graded Fox 16's ordered with 3" chambers known to that collector, so - I expect there are more

LC Smith would do almost any thing a customer asked - so i would not be surprised to find a few

and Parker built many heavy small bores with long barrels- that some would be 3" 16s won't surprise me

Rick - Thank you very much. Now I am learning something. Concerning why Remington and other shot shell makers would go through all the trouble to "tool up" to make the ammo. I surmised it was for quality double guns, as I never heard of any 16ga., 3 inch pump guns, or autos.

Back