2 hp Honda/Momarsh DP?

Well, my brother and I are about to pull the trigger on a couple of Momarsh DP's, and I am wondering if a 2hp Honda air cooled outboard in combination with a push pole would be a good choice for these boats? I hate the thought of dragging around an $1800,75lbs. long tail mudmotor. We plan on hauling these boats around on roof racks on our SUV's and hunting and fishing small ponds and marshes.

Well, my brother and I are about to pull the trigger on a couple of Momarsh DP's, and I am wondering if a 2hp Honda air cooled outboard in combination with a push pole would be a good choice for these boats? I hate the thought of dragging around an $1800,75lbs. long tail mudmotor. We plan on hauling these boats around on roof racks on our SUV's and hunting and fishing small ponds and marshes.

A bigger problem may be pulling the starting cord with your paws.

Welcome Curt. I run a 2 HP Evinrude on my Momarsh Fatboy and it works great. It will move 5 mph with a full load. I passed on the DP because the motor would be too far back for me to comfortably reach the controls. I wish I could have sat in one and tried it out. I'd suggest finding a DP to look at before making the purchase. Use the "search posts" tab at the top of the page and you'll find tons of discussions on this very topic.

I had that exact setup it was ok for the marsh. Sweet little motor and boat I sold it to Rich not sure what his thoughts on it are.

Or, if the price doesn't bother you, look at the Rickshaw mud motor. It uses a Honda 4 stroke (can't recall the exact hp but close to 1.3 I believe) and costs about $700. Ed L uses one on his new Fatboy and it moved it right along. Total weight was somewhere around 18 lbs I believe. John (Rickshaw) is coming out with a new motor on July 4th and rumors are it uses a 2.5 hp Honda which would be perfect.

Or, if you are slightly handy, build one yourself. Many have and they work well. I built one using a 2.2 hp 2 stroke motor for around $300 and it weighs in around 14lbs. The mud motor is a beter option in real shallow water in my opinion.

Mark W

I have a carstens pintail layout duckboat with the Momarsh Blind doors kit plus grassed up with the invisgrass... after throwing it on top of my truck with all that weight... especially if the invisgrass gets wet put my back out... I trailer it now... sounds easy... I can navigate well with a push pole and paddle... may be nice with a really sm motor...

I'd watch any boat over 65 lbs for car topping. It's not the weight but the combo of the size and weight. Cabela's has a canoe loader that mounts on the trailer hitch. A rotator cuff or back is easy to injure and long and painful to heal.

I guess I'll have to work in a few extra squats to my work out routine! I have a canoe loader that I load a 14' canoe with, I don't know what the canoe weighs but it's heavy. If the DP is to heavy to load I will have to get a trailer. The Rickshaw mudmotor looks pretty good and is comparable in price to an air cooled outboard, but I just wonder if it has any advantage on this style hull, aside from maybe being weedless which it may or may not be. My plan is to navigate the channels in the marsh with the motor,and then push pole through the mud and vegitation to where I want to hunt.
My big rig is an 1860 Phowler/32 Pro Drive, it loves mud, but needs a solid boat ramp to launch. Some times it is just to much boat, Especially when I am hunting alone. I've never done any layout hunting, but it looks like a new challenge. Any help is appreciated.
C.S.

Look here for a report on the Rickshaw on the new regular Fatboy. Ed l bought one and liked what he saw. Had some problems initially that Rickshaw corrected. My opinion, not based upon anything other than what Ed has said here and other conversations, is that the Rickshaw is a great motor, it might just need a little more umph. Rickshaw is coming out with a larger motor, but still weigh very little, this July 4th.

I tried the small outboard motor route on my rig (Hoefgen Duck Boat) and did not like it or an electric compared to the motor I built. The mud motor won't go through mud like a bigger version but going upstream and in shallow water, it is significantly superior to the other choices.

Here is Ed's report. If you search the forum for other posts by Ed, or Rickshaw, you will find more info.

http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=60228;search_string=rickshaw;#60228

Mark W

Back