2007 EVINRUDE 40 ELH E-TEC...Good Motor for Scaup?

Jeff H

Hi folks,

I'm building a Scaup this year with my son and was wondering what you all thought of the Evinrude 40 ELH E-TEC? Dealer's to call me back to let me know whether it's a tiller or with controls. Tiller is best I would assume? I definately want electric start and electric tilt/trim etc as well.

From what I've read here on the site, it's best to have the motor you're going to use available during the build to ensure mounting dimensions and clearances etc.

Thanks All,

Jeff

P.S. I found out that it's a longshaft too...shortshaft is best I think (isn't it?)

Last edited:
Jeff,

I have heard good things about the E-TEC motors. I just looked up the specs for the 40 hp and was surprised at how heavy it was 232-251 lbs. Then compared it to the 50 hp and the 60 hp E-TECs and guess what? They all have the same displacement and weigh in the same range. So is the 40 just a detuned 60? I don't know enough about them to say. I do know from my own research that you can get a 40 hp motor that weighs less than 200 lbs and some down in the 175lb range. That extra 50-75 lbs hanging off the back end can make a difference. If it were me and I wanted an E-TEC I'd jump up to at least the 50 hp for the Scaup - same weight but more HP.

Good Luck

Jeff,

I have heard good things about the E-TEC motors. I just looked up the specs for the 40 hp and was surprised at how heavy it was 232-251 lbs. Then compared it to the 50 hp and the 60 hp E-TECs and guess what? They all have the same displacement and weigh in the same range. So is the 40 just a detuned 60? I don't know enough about them to say. I do know from my own research that you can get a 40 hp motor that weighs less than 200 lbs and some down in the 175lb range. That extra 50-75 lbs hanging off the back end can make a difference. If it were me and I wanted an E-TEC I'd jump up to at least the 50 hp for the Scaup - same weight but more HP.

Good Luck

Yes, Pete is right on weight, that is heavy for a 40. My Yamaha 4 stroke 40 is 180# in a short shaft. Go with the larger motor, given equal transom weight. You can usually fit a slightly larger motor on the Devlins - I did the USCG calculation (I know you are in CA, but I assume similar rules) for for my snowgoose years ago, and if I remember right, a 50 would fit mine.

Went and looked at the site. I see the 40's are 2 cylinder and that they came out with 25 and 30hp too. I tried the FAQ to see how that "auto winterizing" feature works and nothing would come up. I'd weigh what the difference in cost was between a 40 and 50 is....I bet it's substantial. I'll wager you would be happy with it and you could make your transom for a long shaft to help with squat from all that weight.

I used to be a Yamaha and E-tec dealer, and yes the 40/50/60 are all the same motors just programed differently. They are also grossly overweight, but in all honesty I believe the Scaup would handle it without any adverse effects. As far as the auto-winterization it is basically just feeding the motor an excessive amount of oil for a short period of time rather than having to run fogging oil through the motor. This is a handy feature to have, especially since a motor will start to rust internally after only 3 weeks of sitting (in a damp climate), and is very simple to use after each use if the motor will be sitting for an extended period of time. The downside to this motor (besides the weight) in my opinion is it is only a 2 cylinder motor, which makes for a somewhat more "shakey" motor than the competitors 3 and 4 cylinder motor. Believe it or not, these 2 cyl e-tecs are the same 40/50hp they have been manufacturing for the past 30 years, except now of course they are EFI and manufactured to tighter specs. The Yamaha manual start 40hp weighs 183lbs, the Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke weighs 239lbs and is far smoother and quieter than the 40/50 e-tec.​
I run a 30hp Yamaha on my Scaup right now (and no it is not enough hp) and plan on purchasing a 50hp yamaha this summer for the boat.​
Good luck​

I met a e-tec dealer in CT when I was thinking of buying a remote setup... and I got edumicated.

Basically, the 40 shares the same lower unit as the 60 - and if you look at it in person the lower unit is huge... and I'm sure it probably shares a lot of the other 60 hp hardware.

The Honda 40 was the lightest 5 years ago (225# with elect trim and tilt), but Yamaha came out with an even lighter 40.

Good luck on the build, Scaup's a nice boat. Hunted out of Eric and Neil B's many times.

Don't know about the smaller hp motors but I just put a brand new 200 HO on my Grady White. The motor is much lighter for the same output than 4 strokes, is almost as quiet and is much faster out of the hole. The main thing that sold me on the E-Tec as opposed to a 4 stroke was the continual maintenance on 4 strokes. Also 2 stroke technology has been around for many years. Having said that I think Suzuki builds a great 4 stroker as one of my fishing buds has a 40 and a 90 and loves them both.

JMO,
Harry

Hi Jeff. I bought a 40hp ETEC tiller motor last year to put on my Snow Goose. I replaced a 28hp Evinrude that weighed just about half what the ETEC weighs. To compensate for the weight difference, I moved the forward so that it is under a step just aft of the bow. The motor tiller is long enough so that I am able to shift my body weight forward more than I was able to do so with the old motor. WIth those changes in place, I can't say as I've noticed any big changes in boat attitude. This is just a guess on my part, but with the Scaup having an inboard transom, I don't think that it will experience as much potential balance issue as a transom hung motor might.

As to performance difference between the 2, Holy Smokes is it faster! With the blind on the boat, 2 men and their gear, a dog and 50 wood decoys, etc, I still hit 27 mph before the porpoising kicks in and once I get that straihghtened out, given the amount of throttle I have left, 35mph should be attainable.

The motor starts well, uses just over half the gas the 28 hp did, is quiet and smooth enough for me. I don't think you will regret it.

John... what are you going to do to fix the porpoising? Not that I'm a wedge advocate or anything...; )

FYI, I've been in a Scaup with a Yamaha 40 and the attitude of the boat is awesome, i.e. it's a heavy motor, but the boat doesn't squat unnaturally. The Scaup and Snow Goose hulls are very similar. Lots of weight can be handled back there, don't worry.

Andrew, I agree! The Scaup/snowgoose can handle a substantial amount of weight. I built my Scaup with the transom on the back rather than a motor well, and I currently have a 30hp hung, with the battery, gas tank, all my anchors in the stern compartments, and I sit (280lbs) on the back deck without too much static trim. When I puchase a 40 or 50hp I will probably relocate the fuel tank to the bow and the battery to the port side midship.

Sean, can you post pics of your scaup with the "Normal" well? Would love to see that. The cockpit must be huge.

I'll bet if we compared lofting dimensionals, they'd be about the same from a pure hull perspective.

Thanks, A.

Very nice boat, I especially like the "grassing webbing straps" on the motor, I'll have to try that on my new build.
John

I have a 40 hp e-tech on my scaup. I love it. The tiller on the etec is great for running on this boat. If you don't know the tiller is longer then your standard tiller. This moves you into the center on the boat. Power trim and tilt on the tiller, and your shifter on the tiller just behind the throtle. Very easy when picking up decoys and such. I added more canter to the deck of my scaup so choosing a motor that fit my modification was important. I found the etech was the narrowest of most motors where the lower unit would extend down through the sponsons. This was important for full turning radius. I did have to modify my deck design to fit this motor. I don't think any modification would be necessary using the stock deck canter on the plans. Here are a few pictures. Feel free to send me a pm if you want to discuss any addational details.

Robynscamara289.jpg

fittingmotor120.jpg

fittingmotor121.jpg

fittingmotor122.jpg

fittingmotor123-1.jpg

Robynscamara262.jpg

Robynscamara256.jpg

Sorry, fuel economy is great. In the pics i posted above i have a 6 gal can, i took it out and only run a 3 gal now with a 1 gal up front. I can hunt about two days on one 3 gal tank of fuel. If fishing and running around i can spend a full day on the water and still have fuel when i return. I have used only 3/4 of a gallon of oil in the boat in 1 year.

According to my gps with myself and my dog in the boat i can get 36 mph out of it. With two guys a dog and gear around 29 mph.

Good luck in your decision and let me know if i could help you out.

Colin Wheeler

Back